valve cover Question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2005, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
Novice

valve cover Question

Hi all just wondering if anyone knows about 258 alimmanum valve covers and how to tell if you need to drill and tap the head I see that you need to do that on specific engines My engine is in a 83 cj7.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2005, 04:27 PM

Re: valve cover Question

almost all of the aftermarket aluminum valve covers never fit correctly and require tapping. Even the one i purchased that said was a bolt on replacement.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2005, 06:06 PM
Way Outta Control

Ok...you engine is a 1983 258, and it's rocker arm bow has bolts that hold down the valve cover and spread the load to seal the cover (cough... cough...). So, now if you put on an aluminum cover and it does NOT have the rocker tie in... then there is NOTHING left to hold down the cover. As example, on my 1983 I used an OEM upgraded plastic cover (Engine Cylinder Head Cover Kit - 8983 503 343). It was held down on the driver's side by pulling two head bolts and installing new head bolts with studs on one side. Once the head bolts were installed, nuts were threaded onto the stud side and held down the new cover. On the passenger side the there are OEM holes that were to be threaded to accept new bolts. Being cheap I simply installed self tapping bolts in those holes. In the last 9 years not a drop of oil has escaped that cover.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2005, 06:59 PM
Old Hand

4WD.com has a good one.. I put it on my 88 258.
It says you may need to drill and tap holes for the front and the rear but i never did i just put some good RTV on there and it worked good.. over a yr no leaks. I dont know about your motor but on my setup there are holes in the head for all the bolts but for the front and rear. I do know that on some there not taped. but you should get a tap for them anyway to clean the rust and what not out.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2005, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
Novice

[ QUOTE ]
As example, on my 1983 I used an OEM upgraded plastic cover (Engine Cylinder Head Cover Kit - 8983 503 343).

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks for the info. i can get this oem upgrade kit at the dealer with that part number?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2005, 08:24 PM
Apprentice

Krage at jeepdoc.com can give you exact answers and decent prices.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-30-2005, 12:21 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I had the 4WD cover on my 258. Never leaked...yes, I drilled and taped the holes....took all of 30 minutes....but no leaks...and the best part...I could take it off and put it back on....and no leaks....and I didn't have to use RTV each time....

Don't need it now....putting in a 5.7L TBI....so it's for sale if anyone wants it....
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-30-2005, 12:35 PM
Way Outta Control

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
As example, on my 1983 I used an OEM upgraded plastic cover (Engine Cylinder Head Cover Kit - 8983 503 343).

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks for the info. i can get this oem upgrade kit at the dealer with that part number?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, that is the OEM part number, however it is VERY hard to find. I'd try Parts Mike Parts. You're best bet is to try to find it New Old Stock.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-31-2005, 12:00 PM
Enthusiast

I have an aluminum cast valve cover from Westside Performance that uses the two rocker studs. It is fairly expensive at $159 but it never has leaked. They sell a cast and a polished version. Doctor FourX has them but I know other sites sell them as well. I could not remember their direct website.

Here is a link

http://www.fourxdoctor.com/main/valv...alvecover.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode