Rain drops keep fallin' on my...FEET! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-16-2005, 11:37 AM Thread Starter

Rain drops keep fallin\' on my...FEET!

Hola,

After doing a few searches with the new, seemingly useless search form, I found nothing to help with my problem, though I recall reading something useful a while back on the board.

Anyway, on to my issue...When it rains, water is some how finding a way in to my cab around the firewall or something near there. My toes, mainly around the gas pedal are getting wet.
I've considered my air/heater box...but found no leads. Any particular things to look for on the heater/air box that usually leak?
Any other typical leak spots around that area?

Thanks,

Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-16-2005, 11:44 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Re: Rain drops keep fallin\' on my...FEET!

What kind of vehicle is it?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-16-2005, 12:01 PM
Keyboard Implanted

there is a drian for the water that goes into the vent on top of the cowl. it gets full of mud and leaves and cat poop or whatever.. on a tj you can lift that piece out and pressure wash uner it.. other jeeps you just flush it as best you can.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-16-2005, 12:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What kind of vehicle is it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah if it's a CJ or a YJ I would suspect the fresh air vent in the air plenum. It's just about in the right spot got dripping on your toes.

The fresh air vent is right were the "H" is in heat.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-16-2005, 12:24 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Pretty typical I think on these old Jeeps (assuming it's a CJ) I've gone to the extent of sealing up the fresh air intake infront of the window. Still I get wet feet. the only thing I haven't done yet is replace the windshield to tub Gasket. I've heard these can be the biggest problem. But like I said, I can't say for sure since I haven't replaced mine yet. I'm still dealing with the crappy seal coming between the windshield frame and the soft top along the top edge of the windshield frame.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-16-2005, 02:47 PM
Veteran

i had the exact same problem on my 80 cj7. i siliconed up the windshield but it dodn't seem to help. i never did get it figured out.....

shawn
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-16-2005, 05:52 PM

I have the same problem on my 83 cj7. I replaced the window frame to body gasket, and it helped a lot, but i still get a little water inside. i have tried squirting water all over the front, and nothing happens, i only get water inside when it rains or i wash it with a lot of water. I also dumped a bucket of water in the vent opening, and that did not leak inside, it all dumped out the hose in the engine compartment, so i know that it is not clogged. Also it might be you windshield washer fluid squirter gasket (the base where it screws into the cowl). i sealed that and it helped reduce the leaking.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-16-2005, 07:29 PM
Journeyman

O.K. I have been working on my leaks for a week now and learned about were all the holes are. I have been through 3 radios because of water damage and am fed up with having to replace them and getting everything else wet.

First the drips from the firewall are from the failed seal at were the top rear of the hood meets the top of the firewall and cowl joint. This is were the two pieces of body panels meet. I ran a continuous bead of RTV automotive sealant in that sandwich joint.
If you have a soft-top seal the sheet metal screws with sealant on top of the windshield.
Run a continuos bead of sealant between the window frame and glass rubber joint.
Completely seal the topside of the large rubber seal thatís between windshield frame and body where it is screwed underneath to the windshield frame.
Add sealant inside between the windshield hinge plate and window frame were the 5 bolts attach.
Remove vent grill and add a cont. bead of sealant to the interior seam that joins the two peace plastic vent cowling together. Also add underneath were the cowling attaches to the top.

My biggest leak that I found was the after market windshield metal frame seams were not completely closed. Look at the outside side of your windshield frame carefully. Look at the bottom of the seam flanges tords the hinge area. Were the flange ends at the bottom I had a small hole were lots of water would run down this flange and enter inside the bottom part of the windshield frame.

Taking your time looking at all the possibilities is key. This took me a week of trial and error.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-16-2005, 08:08 PM

Thanks for the ideas, i will try them out!
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-16-2005, 10:02 PM
Official Historian

[ QUOTE ]
First the drips from the firewall are from the failed seal at were the top rear of the hood meets the top of the firewall and cowl joint. This is were the two pieces of body panels meet. I ran a continuous bead of RTV automotive sealant in that sandwich joint.

[/ QUOTE ]

I went a different route on this. I noticed the YJ's have a gasket between the hood and cowl. I put a strip of stick on foam weather stripping on and have eliminated the water that runs in the firewall holes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode