O/T Lakeland, FL - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2005, 12:01 PM Thread Starter

O/T Lakeland, FL

Any body in this area? whats it like? Moving down there mid-May for a couple of months for an internship. Any good wheeling or laws relating to the jeep i should know about?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2005, 12:03 PM

Re: O/T Lakeland, FL

My Aunt lives in Lakeland... and exact details your looking for?

Sean
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2005, 12:08 PM
Keyboard Implanted

lakeland is mostly old people and their parents.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2005, 12:09 PM Thread Starter

I'm just kind of looking for general info about it and info about the wheeling around the area. I'd hate to end up not being able to wheel for 4 months and be cursed to mall curbs.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2005, 12:16 PM
Keyboard Implanted

That's my original neck of the woods. From the next town over, Plant City, the Strawberry Capital of the world!

Can't say there's much in the way of wheelin' Florida is FLAT! you get to play in the Mud and Swamps down there.

Dan Stew is a little south of Lakeland. I get back there every now and then for holidays and such.

Lakeland is pretty cool, But I persoanlly couldn't live in Florida again.. unless I was in the Keys. People think Beaches when they think Florida, when in fct it's like the 3rd largest Cattle State, and once you get 2 miles from the coast, Florida ain't all that pretty. flat pastures, pine trees and palmetto bushes....

as for wheelin' don't expect much.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2005, 12:19 PM
Keyboard Implanted

There is not much wheelin' anywhere in Flalala. You can find some sandy mud pits...but then you gotta watch for Alligators (no I'm not kidding). There was (12-13yrs ago) a decent 4x4 club in Orlando, there was also a big club up in Ocala, I don't remember the names. Lakeland is a decent area, used to be a lot of citrus farms, oranges, lemons and the like...the area got hit pretty bad from the canker in the late 80's and early 90's so most of the farms are subdivisions now...you're close to Tampa and St. Pete. Not far from the Mouse, with Orlando just beyond. So it is now bedroom communities with folks making the long ride to Tampa and Orlando. I4 sucks...heavy traffic all the time...but that's how you get from one side of the state to the other...
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2005, 12:51 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[ QUOTE ]
There is not much wheelin' anywhere in Flalala. You can find some sandy mud pits...but then you gotta watch for Alligators (no I'm not kidding). There was (12-13yrs ago) a decent 4x4 club in Orlando, there was also a big club up in Ocala, I don't remember the names. Lakeland is a decent area, used to be a lot of citrus farms, oranges, lemons and the like...the area got hit pretty bad from the canker in the late 80's and early 90's so most of the farms are subdivisions now...you're close to Tampa and St. Pete. Not far from the Mouse, with Orlando just beyond. So it is now bedroom communities with folks making the long ride to Tampa and Orlando. I4 sucks...heavy traffic all the time...but that's how you get from one side of the state to the other...

[/ QUOTE ]

you pretty much nailed that one Galen!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2005, 02:17 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

My mom and sister live near Groveland.......bottom line, you won't find any hills....but if you like mud....that you will find plenty off.

If your only going to be there for a couple of months....enjoy it...it can be enjoyable to drive through some of the forests....and do watch out for the reptiles.....

As for laws....just wait until you see some of the 'cutdowns'....then you realize that you can get away with just about any thing as long as it has the lic plate on it.....
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2005, 02:56 PM
Journeyman

Hot Dog! Finally something I know something about [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

Lived in Lakeland since 1983, been a Jeep owner here since 2001.

Jeep Laws: None directly related to Jeeps, but no emissions testing and pretty liberal lift laws. No requirements for doors AFAIK.

Wheeling: There is a county park on the south side that is reclaimed Phosphate Strip Mine land. Sandy and muddy dirt roads that are legal to drive on (technically they are the access roads to some boat ramps and fishing areas, but there are many washouts and mud holes). Not exactly a wheeling park but not bad for being close. A bit west of here there is another abandoned mine area that has lots of hills, sand, mud and a stream. Once you get down here, email me and I can show you the way. North of here is Richloam Wildlife Management Area (WMA) that has lots of deep water and trails. Also North is Croom WMA and a private but legal area known as the "Pit" which has some pretty amazing rocks, hills, and, of course, mud. Last but not least further North is the Ocala National Forest which has bunches of trails for wheeling.

Check out http://floridajeepers.net for more info on Florida wheeling
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2005, 03:36 PM Thread Starter

Good to hear theres not much to worry about with the jeep. My internship is with the company that probably made that strip mine, Mosaic. Have to show me around when i get down there, Need to get my jeep stuck in the state atleast once.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode