Spring Project: D30 vs D44. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2005, 11:48 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Spring Project: D30 vs D44.

Ok, finally giving up the ghost and going to upgrade Thor's drivetrain. The rear diff has so much play and is so worn, it needs replacement, so I will do everything at the same time. I have the amc20 in the rear with full-floaters, which I intend to keep and just truss the 20. I intend on going 4.56 with ARB front and rear. I will split my questions into several posts, one per issue.

D30 vs. D44:
As this point I use the jeep for light-medium duty off road. Primarily trails, though would like to visit the rubicon though not the hardest stuff.

I spoke to a few people that say the D30 isn't as bad as I thought. I was interested in swapping in the d44 front, since I am doing all the re-gearing etc. What are your opinons, and if the D44 is the way to go, what is a good donor for 85 Cj7? BTW: I run 31" figuring on a SOA during summer eventually 33".
TIA.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2005, 12:09 PM
SHINTON

Re: Spring Project: D30 vs D44.

Well for 31 and 33" tires I personally cannot see the use in upgrading to a dana 44. You can put in some aftermarket axleshafts and good ujoints in your D40 and be "as strong" as a stock D44 if not more!

(Your D30 could be an older/model I am not familar with, I know the newer D30s are not that bad for the tire size and wheeling you are talking about)

Someone may have a bit more specific knowledge about the older D30s that may change this. Just a LOT more work to swap a whole axle than upgrading axleshafts...

my .02

Sam Hinton
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2005, 12:16 PM
Can't Get Enough

I think you would be fine with the Dana 30 up front, those axles are alot stronger than some people give them credit for, as said above you can do and axle shaft upgrade if your worried about it and it will be almost as strong as a Dana 44....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2005, 12:21 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Thanks, that begs the questions:
1. Does anything need to be changed in the pumpkin whith a axle shaft upgrade?
2. If I go crazy with 35", will I still be ok? Or will I be pushing it a little too far?
TIA
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2005, 12:28 PM

Assuming you are dealing with a CJ.
Putting anything other than a WT D30 up front is a lot like work for the gain (You will either have to narrow the axle or outboard the springs)- especially if you are only running 31-33" tires and moderate off road.

I have run D30 (hard) with 33's and had them hold up.
I have also run up to 38's on a front D30, but had an automatic and ran mostly mud and mixed trails.

If you are going to do a LOT of hard core rock and run a front locker, the 30 will be border line, but for your intended use, I think it will hold up just fine.

Here is some advice you didn't ask for:

IMHO 4.56 is a lot of gear for 31-33" tires on a Jeep you are going to drive on the street much. If that is all the tire you plan to run, you might want to consider more on the lines of 3.92 or 4.10. Which will have the bonus of giving you a bit bigger pinion and a better chance for survival on that D30.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2005, 12:33 PM
Official Historian

[ QUOTE ]
1. Does anything need to be changed in the pumpkin whith a axle shaft upgrade?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, they are the same size shafts, just better alloy.

[ QUOTE ]
2. If I go crazy with 35", will I still be ok? Or will I be pushing it a little too far?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a widetrack 30 in my jeep. I have 35" tires, 4.10 gears and a lockright in it. I have an AMC 360 but also have an automatic transmission. I credit the torque converter to limiting the amount of shock the driveline sees and the reason the 30 is still together in mine.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2005, 12:37 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Thanks Bill, I really respect your sage advice [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I have the Trash-5 tranny, and my thought is with the 5-speed I could get away with 4.56 on the street. I intend on getting a world-class when I find one in a junkyard, as I like having a 5-speed. As it is pretty expensive in labor to swap out gears, I want to do it once.
[img]images/graemlins/wall.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2005, 12:52 PM

I say keep the dana 30, its not worth upgrading to a 44 unless you do some sort of chromoly shafts and ctms. cause they have the same size joint, i dont know what dana 30 you have but if your shafts have the 260 joints it might be a good idea to upgrade to 297's but other than that go with the 30. Ive wheeled mine hard with 37's for 3 years and ive broken a few shafts but you can see in my sig that ive got alot of torque going to the ground and 3rd gear assaults at hill climbs and rock ledges, arnt so good on the D30, but i carry a couple spares and in a matter of minutes im back at it.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2005, 04:03 PM

This is what my anemic 258 1-barrel did to the D30, trying to back uphill out of a muddy ditch.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1397504-dscn0296.jpg (102.4 KB, 1 views)
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2005, 06:14 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

I shelled 2 D30s in my CJ before going to the 44s. I also spun the axle in the 20 a couple of weeks after putting on a set of 33s. The one piece axles did fine in the 20 but I was ready to upgrade after a while. The Scout axles work well on a CJ. I like the wider track the Scout 44s have, they look nice on a CJ and wider is better. I'm running 35s with Moser axles now have have not had any problems since the swap. There is always someone out there that has run 44" tires with a built motor on the stock drivetrain and never break anything. Just try to think of where your going with your jeep and do it right the first time, whatever that may be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode