Your Opinions Please........ - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2005, 02:53 PM
DRnNY

Your Opinions Please........

Hey all, I am currently restoring an 84 CJ and I'm at the point of getting the Rears Re-geared. Have you ever seen the pic. of the green CJ for the bushwacker cut-out pocket flares? Well that is the look I want,yea I know some of you are saying what a waste he's building a street queen,and you are partially right but I do plan on wheelin' it also but not to the extreme some of you do.Anyway back to my Q. how tall a lift and what size tires would you say is on there? I was thinking it looked like about a 5 or 6" lift with 33x14.50 ssr's. What do you all think? am I close or what? Give me some opinions Thanks
Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2005, 12:51 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Your Opinions Please........

[ QUOTE ]
Hey all, I am currently restoring an 84 CJ and I'm at the point of getting the Rears Re-geared. Have you ever seen the pic. of the green CJ for the bushwacker cut-out pocket flares? Well that is the look I want,yea I know some of you are saying what a waste he's building a street queen,and you are partially right but I do plan on wheelin' it also but not to the extreme some of you do.Anyway back to my Q. how tall a lift and what size tires would you say is on there? I was thinking it looked like about a 5 or 6" lift with 33x14.50 ssr's. What do you all think? am I close or what? Give me some opinions Thanks
Dan

[/ QUOTE ]

Show us the picture... some might not get it with out it.

[img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
Dale
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2005, 08:38 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well...it's either 33" or 35"
If you do a SOA, you will end up with about 5 1/2" of lift which is good for both size tires.
And since your original quistion was about gears...I'm assuming you want to know what gears to go with....

Rule of Thumb (I'm not sure who Thumb was but he sure made a lot of rules)

33" = 4.10 gears
35" = 4.56
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2005, 09:58 AM
DRnNY

Heres the pic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1397363-CT86JeepCJ_10910.jpg (64.0 KB, 59 views)
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2005, 10:20 AM
DRnNY

Well it looks to me that it has a SRS,and it looks as though it is SUA,w/no body lift. I have the FT SRS which will give me 2". as far as the sping lift I can either go w/1.5or 2.5. I really like the look of the way this is set up,thats why I wanted some other opinions about it. I have another CJ-7 that I am using as a parts Jeep.It has wide track axles and the gears are 3.54.I have a TF999 that is a 3-speed so I was thinking that if the bushwacker Jeep was on 33's I could just swap axles and save a bunch of money by not having to regear, it won't be the greatest but I think it would be good enough.The RPM's should be around
2200 or a little more being it's not a lock-up converter.
Thanks for takin the time to read this and respond I didn't think anyone would but I gave it a shot.
Thanks Again
Dan
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2005, 11:52 AM

That picture gives my CJ something to aspire to [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Good luck with your restore
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2005, 12:27 PM
Official Historian

33's and 3.54 go well with an auto. With the 6 cylinder, it might be a little undergeared but my V8 did well with them. 4.10's and 35's is what I have now and that really needs an overdrive. Hopefully I'll get that done this weekend though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode