=== Darn rebuilt Power steering box - on my 3rd! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2005, 02:07 PM Thread Starter

=== Darn rebuilt Power steering box - on my 3rd!

OK, so I had this reuiblt power steering box on my CJ for about 1000 miles. It starts leaking and sounding funny, so I take it back with my lifetime warranty and get another.

Box #2: Wrong fittings (correct PN, rebuilding company screwed up). OK, so take it back and have them get another one in.

box #3: Installed, and it leaks out of the lash adjustment screw. I'm going to try to seal it up externally after a brakekleen blast (I don't have high hopes), but crap, what a waste of my time!!

Did I mention that I have to travel across the state to get the store which I bought it at (none where I live now). Luckily I get back there every few weeks, but I'm going on 5 weeks of downtime now.

I'm gonna see if Murrays sells a new box and if they will allow me to only pay the difference and return this piece of steaming crap. I think this is the rebuilding company that does 90% of all boxes. Why do they suck so much? Anyone else had this experience?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2005, 06:20 PM

Re: === Darn rebuilt Power steering box - on my 3rd!

Yep. Bought one at AutoZone, it leaked. Went back and exchanged it, it leaks. They were both special order and took a week to get.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2005, 06:03 PM Thread Starter

Murrays agreed to take back the 3rd one, and refund my money. I don't get my core back, but I don't need it because I plan to buy a new box.

The only new boxes I know of are AGR and PSC, both are $$$$. Does anyone have any other ideas or opinions about what new box to buy?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2005, 06:17 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: === Darn rebuilt Power steering box - on my 3r

Rebuilt boxes suck. Just think about the box you gave them and now that is what they just rebuilt, a worn out box to begin with. So basically a few new seals and a cleaning and thats what they call a rebuilt box. To rebuild a box correctly, would cost so much money, no one would buy them. I havent been happy with AGR. I have installed three of them on customers trucks and two of them leak. I doubt AGR is building an entire new box, cause they buy used boxes. So they must be using some of the internal parts. Find a good used box. Hell i found one for my CJ at work and its perfect. Just look to see if they are leaking, if its not all wet and its dry its a good box. If the vechile was in a wreck, look at the splines and make sure they are straight that will let you know if the box is hurt or not.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-01-2005, 05:23 AM Thread Starter

Follow up:

I bought a PSC box from an online vendor for $290 shipped. I got Murrays to agree to take back the rebuilt box. I didn't ask for this, but they had to "return" the amount they charged me for my core too ($150). So the Murrays return was MORE than my cost for the new box (yeah!).

The PSC box eval:
1) It is very well built mechanically. The billet top cap and ends are strong, and everything is well put together
2) My Jeep now has variable rate steering with a larger bore. VERY easy to turn and more stable by ALOT at highway speeds.
3) the "paint" they use on the boxes with is absolute crap. It leaked PS fluid in shipping a small bit, so I started to degrease it and the "paint" started coming off. In about 15 minutes I had all the paint removed (using only degreaser), and then I clearcoated the bare metal (looks good I think). If that's all that is wrong, I still am happy with my choice.
4) NO leaks at all

Side note: I have been searching for the source of my steering "looseness" for years. I installed a new column, borgeson shaft, steering box support, new ball joints, and now the box. THe NUMBER 1 improvement in street driveability was the box. I always ASSUMED That the rebuilt box was unlikely the problem. I don't know if the lash was bad on the old box or if it's the variable rate on the new box, but steering on the street is MUCH more controllable and smooth.

Bottom line: DON't get auto parts store rebuilt. I would recommend PSC box, but you check it out brands and decide for yourself.

I will say I looked at AGR also, and determined that AGR was overpriced, and they have had some quality issues (some of this coming from the owner of PSC, who used to own AGR and sold it). That is why I decided PSC.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-01-2005, 06:48 AM

Great that everything worked out finally.

The stock Saginaw on my '78 has been an irritation since it was new. By 20K miles or so it was loose and needed adjustment, and every 15K or 20K since. And it still feels loose even when it's freshly adjusted to factory specs. Maybe I'll dump it and get a PSC. Thanks for the info.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-01-2005, 07:41 AM
Keyboard Implanted

hhhhmmmm, $100 my junk yard power steering box (including pump, resivoir) from a waggy for is doing good.... Ever thought about buying one of those instead of spending big bucks.....
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-01-2005, 08:11 AM
Keyboard Implanted

west texas offroad will rebuld your box using quality parts and tap the box for hydro assist for $100 +shipping. I had to take a box apart that they had rebuilt and it was apparent that they do good work.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-01-2005, 11:51 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[ QUOTE ]
hhhhmmmm, $100 my junk yard power steering box (including pump, resivoir) from a waggy for is doing good.... Ever thought about buying one of those instead of spending big bucks.....

[/ QUOTE ]

geez, could I have spoken a little more illiterate in that post??? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/chair.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-01-2005, 07:09 PM Thread Starter

mbalbritton: I can see your point about a $100 pump. BUT I am damn tired of re-installing components over and over, and problem solving. It was totally worth the extra $200 to be SURE that the box was good, leak free, properly adjusted, and wouldn't (shouldn't ) need attention for a loong time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode