TBI 4.3, 700r4 and s10 231 into a yj? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-11-2005, 05:51 PM Thread Starter

TBI 4.3, 700r4 and s10 231 into a yj?

Anybody done it. I'm going to go ahead and just get it out of the way and do it now. I've got a motor and can locate a trans and t-case pretty easy. A bunch of questions

What did you do for a radiator and hoses? I'm probably going to use a universal chevy radiator.

What about power steering hoses? What did you use?

Wiring? Did you use the factory harness? Any good write ups on weeding out a factory harness? Did you just go push button or addopt it to the yj harnes?

Which fuel pump did you use? What about a fuel filter?

What did you use for fuel lines? I'm thinking 5/16 or 3/8" hard lines from the tank to motor.

What shifter did you use for the 700r4?

Anything special involved in hooking up the 700? Does it need any wiring ran to it?

How big of a cooler did you use for the trans?

Any good write ups mating an s10 231 and a jeep 231? I'm going to be using an sye and probably the back half on an '80s xj 231, i have my yj 231 if need be.

I've just started "researching" but this is going to have to be one of those good, quick, cheep swaps. I'm going to try and make it as clean as i can without cutting corrners and it hopefully needs to be done by april 9th (yeah right, not going to happen but i'm going to push for it) along with reagearing the 30 and swapping a 9" in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-11-2005, 06:23 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: TBI 4.3, 700r4 and s10 231 into a yj?

no help here, but you should prolly pace yourself a little more if you want to wheel this summer maybe get the axles first, assuming your engine is running of course.

then you can wheel while you get all the parts together and then maybe get the stuff into the jeep later.

I never tellll people what to do, as i realize theres different strokes for different folks, but thats just my 2 cents
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-11-2005, 07:02 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Andy,
I know a guy that did it....it is actually a little easier than it seems at first...
First, I would look for a TBI that has the 4L60E tranny...same as the 700R but it is computer controlled (uses same computer as the engine).
I'm doing a SBC conversion with a 5.7L...basically the same thing....just BIGGER :All Good:

You will need the xfer case to tranny adapter
New Motor Mounts
Shifter (I'm still looking)....
Fuel pump...most guys prefer external for easier replacement

As for electrical....I have six wires to hook up. I took more stuff off than what is going back on....in fact, the new harness is going through the same hole as the old harness (computer) did...I just had to make it a little larger.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-12-2005, 11:06 AM

Hey John,
What did you have to do to get the smog related stuff to work with the YJ. Did you just do a complete swap from a donor truck?
Im going to assume that you used the 241 TC?
I have an 87 YJ that the trans or TC sems to be going out and Im looking long term thanks

Bob
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2005, 10:46 AM Thread Starter

I've got all my axle/ frame repair parts ready to go and they are going in, i want to have it rolling before i really start on the motor/ trans. I should have it rolling and stopping by the end of the week. The motor and trans are in there just hanging by the motor mounts and a jack stand ready to come out. I've got a "mock up" 4.3, computer, wiring harness, and anything else i want wating for me to pull them for a case of beer. My 258 ran like poop and my pougoet is on it's way out so it's no real use to spend money to make them live again.

For the t-case you can take the front half of a s-10 231 and mate it to the back half of a jeep 231. I happen to have a jeep 231 with an sye sitting in the back of my truck right now.

Why do i want the 4L60E over the 700r4? 700's are cheep, plentyfull and have a low first gear.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2005, 01:56 PM
Official Historian

[ QUOTE ]
Why do i want the 4L60E over the 700r4? 700's are cheep, plentyfull and have a low first gear.

[/ QUOTE ]

They are the same gearing. The 4L60E is just a later model and the 'E' is for electronically controlled.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2005, 04:08 PM Thread Starter

Electronic trans just seems like more wiring and something else to break.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2005, 08:52 PM
Official Historian

I just had a 700r4 built for me. It was a 92 built with an 88-89 valve body. This will make it a completely hydraulically operated (including the lockup torque converter) transmission with no electrical wires.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2005, 09:26 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hi Bob....
Sorry for taking so long to respond.....

Still putting it all together...
I'm using my D300 TC....I used the Novak adapter...about $525
Smog part is easy if you do your homework and keep proper documentation....basically, as long as the engine is newer and you hook it up 'exactly' as it was in the donner vehicle, no problem. On this TBI, it is real simple. The engine harness has everything on it. The only external stuff is the charcoal canister...my 84 already has a fuel return and vent line. I just have to make sure I use the right fuel cap to hold pressure. I also have to make sure the exhaust is the same as it would have been on an 94 PU...same size and same cat. It then has to pass emmissions for a 94 Chevy PU.

I talked to a few people who have done it. Don't take short cuts, keep it original, document...and no problems. CARB has no problem with people putting newer, cleaner engines in older vehicles. When you go in for inspection, they look at if as if they are looking at the donner vehicle (just a different skin). Once it passes, they put a CARB # on your firewall and your good to go.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2005, 11:39 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Dude, no offense, but why do you always do things the hard way? [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

OK, sorry, first to help answer your questions:
For the TBI 4.3 install you could research by checking out the people who put the 4.3 TBI on the 258 - you'd be doing the same thing, just also putting the whole motor in. Harness, knock sensor, fuel pump relay, MAP sensor, frame-mounted external fuel pump, ECU, the whole deal. Don't know what you mean by "going push button", I'm guessing starter switch, but it can't be that hard to connect it to the exising starter wiring.

Fuel pump - Ford application, Master E3000, if I recall correctly. Fuel filter would be any inline filter for FI, probably same application. ?? 86 F150 6-cyl. rings a bell.

Now, more questions for you:
Why do you want to install the 4.3 motor? I've seen it done, and if it's for pushing the motor forward and gaining rear driveshaft length, then that's good.

If that's not the reason (which is the only good reason I could think of), why not go 4.0? If you want an auto tranny why not go 999? a 4.0/999/231 would mount right in your YJ, with all factory parts, and you wouldn't be reinventing the wheel as much.

I saw a 92 cherokee in the want-ad this week - $650/bo, no title, runs good.
It seems you're getting your parts pretty cheap, maybe you could sell those for a profit and pick up an old cherokee with a 4.0 and take the whole 4.0/999/231.

If you're buying new radiator and other misc parts for the custom 4.3 swap, it may not be as cheap as you think it will be either.

Anyway, not meaning to bust on you dude, no offense intended. Just my $0.02. Hope it works out for you.
Good luck
Pete
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode