Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-10-2005, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
Way Outta Control

O/T For Infernozx

Infernozx, Look out it's an uprising!

Orignial Story Found HERE

[ QUOTE ]
BATES TOWNSHIP, Mich. (AP) - A man cooking in his kitchen was shot after one of his cats knocked his 9mm handgun onto the floor, discharging the weapon, Michigan State Police said.

Joseph Stanton, 29, of Bates Township in Iron County, was shot in his lower torso around 6 p.m. Tuesday, the state police post in Iron River reported. He was transported to Iron County Community Hospital.

Michelle Sand, a spokeswoman at the Iron River hospital, said Stanton was treated there before being transferred to Marquette General Hospital for further treatment. But Marcie Miller, a representative of the Marquette facility, said there was no record of the hospital receiving a patient by that name.

A telephone message seeking comment was left Wednesday at Stanton's home.

State police said he was cooking at his stove when the cat knocked the loaded gun off the kitchen counter behind him.

[/ QUOTE ]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-10-2005, 03:35 PM

Re: O/T For Infernozx

Reason # 150 why dogs are better then cats [img]images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-10-2005, 08:49 PM

Or maybe it's a reason not to cook near loaded weapons?

Thanks Leve [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-10-2005, 08:51 PM
Keyboard Implanted

makes you wonder why he fealt the need to have a loaded handgun with the safety off while he was cooking.....and even if he wanted it there...why was a round chambered and/or the gun cocked....

that was almost Darwin-award worthy
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-10-2005, 09:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends on where "in his lower torso" he was hit. If it was low enough to destroy his reproductive capabilities, he can be nominated.

Remember the one about the guy who used a 22 long rifle cartridge for a fuse in his pickup truck? When it went off, it ended his career.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-10-2005, 10:03 PM
Can't Get Enough

[ QUOTE ]
makes you wonder why he fealt the need to have a loaded handgun with the safety off while he was cooking.....and even if he wanted it there...why was a round chambered and/or the gun cocked....

[/ QUOTE ]

[hackles up]

Sorry... gotta disagree w/ the latter (w/ one exception), and respond to the former:

1. "need to have a loaded handgun": His house, his business... period. [img]images/graemlins/usflag.gif[/img] Nevertheless, not real 'forward-thinking' to be looking for your ammo when you <u>really</u> need it <font color="red">RIGHT NOW</font>!

2. "with the safety off": Not to be a smart arse, but safeties are for the dumb and lawyers... (HERE it comes... [img]images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]) The 'shooters' real safety is betwixt his ears. No mechanical device is going to save a dumba$$ from himself... he'll eventually figure out a way to hurt 'imself. [img]images/graemlins/violin.gif[/img] (But then again, I don't care much for cats either. [img]images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img])

3. "while he was cooking.....": If we knew when the bad guys were coming, we'd have the local P.D./Sheriff [img]images/graemlins/warning.gif[/img] there waitin' on 'em [img]images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img]. Trouble is, you don't know when <font color="red">they</font> will be comin' a'knockin' (see #1 above).

4. "why was a round chambered": Related to #1, but having a chambered round is not quite as much a necessity. However, you surely don't keep/store your piece where your dang cat (or even an earthquake for that matter) can cause it to fall and/or discharge. (See #2.)

5. "and/or the gun cocked....": It may not have been cocked if an older gun w/o the modern-day hammer block-type safety - they can and will go off if they get a stiff whack on the hammer. But, if cocked and not on his person... Yeah, pretty dumb (see #2 <font color="red">yet again</font>).

Okay... so maybe Greg does have a point about the Darwin Award given that a lack of grey matter [img]images/graemlins/wall.gif[/img] seems to be the apparent causation here. Not so much the guy's process as his (poor) execution thereof. [img]images/graemlins/codger.gif[/img]

Just my $.02... Nothing personal Greg, but given y'alls' draconian gun control up there in IL [img]images/graemlins/deal.gif[/img], I wouldn't live there for all the cats in China (those that have not been chopped up for General Tso's 'Chicken', that is [img]images/graemlins/censor.gif[/img] )!

Larry, thanks for the story... anuther basis for NOT having a cat - 'specially in the homestead. (I shudder everytime my wife mentions getting another '<font color="pink">Fluffy</font>' [img]images/graemlins/owned1.gif[/img] - arrgghhh!)

[down hackle] <font color="green">Hmmmm... that felt pretty good for change! [img]images/graemlins/headspin.gif[/img] </font>
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-10-2005, 10:11 PM
Keyboard Implanted

So has anyone considered that the cat was the target... dude just wasn't paying enough attention... goes to show you that cooking and hunting don't mix. [img]images/graemlins/headspin.gif[/img]

[img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
Dale
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-10-2005, 11:04 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

There's new legislation trying to go through in a town in Wisconsin to allow anyone with a small animals hunting permit to shoot ferrel cats whenever they want. I think its pretty funny.

I'm with Greg on the situation it all happened. Sure he can have the gun in his house, thats not a problem. But having it in a spot where it can easily fall off a counter is just stupid. I also don't believe he should have had a round chambered. In case of emergency you can rack a round real quick. I believe safety's are important and this case just proves it. You can flip a safety off just as quick as you can rack that round you're intending to throw down range. If you can't do these two simple functions then you shouldn't be handling a firearm.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-11-2005, 10:35 AM

Maybe the guy had it coming. Perhaps the cat had been waiting for just such an opportunity for years. They are smarter than they let on. I have two (actually married into them), one of them I trust... the other I don't. If I'm cooking with a weapon, it will be safely holstered... I'm not going to give Eddie (aka "special Ed") the chance to take me out.

My pistol doesn't even have a safety, and thatís fine by me.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-11-2005, 11:13 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Safetys are on guns to prevent morons from doing stupid things that might hurt someone else.

i dont keep any of my guns loaded, but i have a speed loader next to my revolver and can pop in a few rounds on a moments notice, but i dont expect to ever need to do that....i havent pissed off that many people yet.....i guess my shotgun could be loaded really darn fast too

i suppose if i knew someone was out to get me i'd keep it handy, but then i'd holster the bad boy, seems more conveniant thatn picking it up and bringing it room to room...

people like this just give ammo to gun grabbers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode