Can't Get Enough
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Fredericksburg, VA
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: O/T For Infernozx
[ QUOTE ]
makes you wonder why he fealt the need to have a loaded handgun with the safety off while he was cooking.....and even if he wanted it there...why was a round chambered and/or the gun cocked....
that was almost Darwin-award worthy
[/ QUOTE ]
Sorry... gotta disagree w/ the latter (w/ one exception), and respond to the former:
1. "need to have a loaded handgun": His house, his business... period. [img]images/graemlins/usflag.gif[/img] Nevertheless, not real 'forward-thinking' to be looking for your ammo when you <u>really</u> need it <font color="red">RIGHT NOW</font>!
2. "with the safety off": Not to be a smart arse, but safeties are for the dumb and lawyers... (HERE it comes... [img]images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]) The 'shooters' real safety is betwixt his ears. No mechanical device is going to save a dumba$$ from himself... he'll eventually figure out a way to hurt 'imself. [img]images/graemlins/violin.gif[/img] (But then again, I don't care much for cats either. [img]images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img])
3. "while he was cooking.....": If we knew when the bad guys were coming, we'd have the local P.D./Sheriff [img]images/graemlins/warning.gif[/img] there waitin' on 'em [img]images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img]. Trouble is, you don't know when <font color="red">they</font> will be comin' a'knockin' (see #1 above).
4. "why was a round chambered": Related to #1, but having a chambered round is not quite as much a necessity. However, you surely don't keep/store your piece where your dang cat (or even an earthquake for that matter) can cause it to fall and/or discharge. (See #2.)
5. "and/or the gun cocked....": It may not have been cocked if an older gun w/o the modern-day hammer block-type safety - they can and will go off if they get a stiff whack on the hammer. But, if cocked and not on his person... Yeah, pretty dumb (see #2 <font color="red">yet again</font>).
Okay... so maybe Greg does have a point about the Darwin Award given that a lack of grey matter [img]images/graemlins/wall.gif[/img] seems to be the apparent causation here. Not so much the guy's process as his (poor) execution thereof. [img]images/graemlins/codger.gif[/img]
Just my $.02... Nothing personal Greg, but given y'alls' draconian gun control up there in IL [img]images/graemlins/deal.gif[/img], I wouldn't live there for all the cats in China (those that have not been chopped up for General Tso's 'Chicken', that is [img]images/graemlins/censor.gif[/img] )!
Larry, thanks for the story... anuther basis for NOT having a cat - 'specially in the homestead. (I shudder everytime my wife mentions getting another '<font color="pink">Fluffy</font>' [img]images/graemlins/owned1.gif[/img] - arrgghhh!)
[down hackle] <font color="green">Hmmmm... that felt pretty good for change! [img]images/graemlins/headspin.gif[/img] </font>