Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2005, 07:30 PM
Randyg08

Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC)

My check engine light just came on after 37k miles. I read once online somewhere that there is a way to get the Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) to appear on the odometer and that code the computer displays will tell you what the check engine light is about. Does anyone know how to do this for a 2000 TJ? [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-09-2005, 09:23 AM
85CJ7258

Re: Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC)

http://www.jedi.com/obiwan/jeep/dtc.html

To query and OBD-I-era computer for these codes, put the key in the ignition and turn the key to run (not start), then off, then run, then off, then run (that's 3 runs and 2 offs). Leave the key in the run position. The check engine light will turn on for a few seconds, then turn off, then (sometimes after 20-30 seconds) start flashing. The flashes are counting out 2-digit trouble codes. Fast flashes count up each digit, with a longer pause between digits. On TJ's with a digital odometer, the code numbers are printed on the odometer in addition to flashing the check engine light. 55 indicates the end of all codes.

Bad news for your 2000 is:

Unfortunately, this trick won't work for 1998 and later (OBD-II era) Jeeps. The information returned by OBD-II is more complex, and requires a code scanner ($100-300) to retrieve.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-09-2005, 11:15 AM
Veteran

Actually, that trick worked for my 2001 TJ. The digital odometer gave me a 3 or 4 digit number, then I checked a factory service manual to see what the number meant. It turns out I had a leak in my fuel vapor return system. I would get a factory service manual for your year of Wrangler and read the section on OBD codes to see how to retreive them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-09-2005, 11:52 AM
85CJ7258

I was wondering that. I used to wrench at a DC Dealer, and we had to use the key trick on OBDII systems a couple of times if a scanner wasn't available, but never on a Jeep (we never serviced Jeeps at our dealership, think this was before Jeep and DC became a happy family)...

I guess give it a shot as described and see what happens, can't hurt,eh? Whatever, I'm a CJ guy. CJs are Equipped with OBD-ZERO. And pls no comments about the POS CJ diagnostic ports... [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-09-2005, 12:21 PM
Enthusiast

Will not work for an '00 (I know, I have one). AutoZone will read your codes for you.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-09-2005, 01:01 PM
Can't Get Enough

[ QUOTE ]
Will not work for an '00 (I know, I have one). AutoZone will read your codes for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah their programmer codes come out as $$$$$ [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-20-2005, 10:18 PM
Randyg08

Thanks for the heads up.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2005, 02:02 AM
H2 Mark

I was using my Hypertech power programmer to set my new wheel heigth ( 37's ) and it told me I had a DTC and I want to know what it is. The code is: B2355. Can anyone help or send me a trouble code list to print for future reference.
My Hummer is a 2005 H2 SUV with the Magnacharger super charger decked out with headers and cat back exhaust.

Thanks!

Mark
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2005, 10:32 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

"DTC" (Died Trying to Crawl)
Sorry Mark...just having a little fun....
Your really in in the wrong place....you need to ask this question in the Hummer thread...about the only help you can get here that is not Jeep related is if it's about SBC's, guns, pickeled eggs or politics.

But a little heads up...if you drastically changed your tire size without re-gearing, your going to have problems...Your engine load is going to increase while the output shaft speed drops....confuses the computer.....Unless you regear, you may have to change the VSS buffer......all that BOB stuff can create more problems than they guys who sold it to you wanted to clue you in on.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode