YJ lift Kits - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2005, 03:00 AM
Jeffcal64

YJ lift Kits

My '90 YJ I believe has a lift with longer shackles does anyone know how long a stock shackle is for this model so I can get the right size lift to get my clearance I need another 2 inches and it would be nicer. I have 31X11.5X15
and i would like 32s or 33s on it and I need more clearance to do that I rub the rubber fenders skirts on hard bumps now, [img]images/graemlins/usflag.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2005, 05:17 AM

Re: YJ lift Kits

Spring it over! and then go 35's
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1395341-PigPenParade.jpg (112.2 KB, 11 views)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2005, 06:31 AM
Jeffcal64

Although if i knew how long the stock shackles were, I would be able to tell if or how much it has been lifted, so that I am not buying the same size expecting more. as far as the amount of lift, not meaning the same type, cause I want to go with springs and maybe a body but what combo 3" on suspention and 2" on body, it realy depends on what is done already, new springs on the longer shackles maybe just what I am looking for my leafs look flat. [img]images/graemlins/burnout.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/burnout.gif[/img] < 4X4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2005, 07:10 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

If I recall correctly, a stock shackle on a YJ is 4" center-to-center.

A good combo for 33s (with proper regearing) could be a 3.5"-4" suspension, 1" longer heavy duty shackles (called 1/2" lift) and a 1.25" or 2" body lift.

Good luck
Pete
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2005, 07:13 AM

Stock shackles are about three inches. If you're rubbing 31's now you have stock suspension or a very mild lift. Remember that a one inch shackle increase gives less than a half inch of lift.

Also, the stock suspension compression is limited by the bumpstops. Small shackle and spring lifts won't guarantee the tires will stay out of the fenders - they just make it harder to get them there.

Two practices that will be panned by this crowd are lifting a Jeep by using longer shackles and lifting a Jeep by means of body spacers. Both give poor results. Long shackles because they can cause wobbly, dangerous handling since they can't properly locate the axel aginst side forces.

Body lifts will help clear bigger tires, but cause several problems (engine fan, brake lines, clutch linkage, shift linkage and steering shaft to name a few) and don't do anything to get the frame and skidplate up.

Dirt_Dont_Hurt has the right advice. If a mild spring lift isn't enough it's time to go to consider spring-over, unless you're building a device to impress the mouth-breathers at the mall. They'll like the big donuts and tall step, and not realize the significance of how it's done.

Consider the trade-off of big tires versus reduced steering lock. The advantage of SOA with a wider axel is that you can retain steering lock. No advantage to big tires if you can't maneuver with them.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2005, 07:26 AM
Jeffcal64

I'm not going for the bigest just 33 are fin for me I do like go get off and climb and bog so it is neccesary to have a stable suspention not riding on stilts so I will just go with the spring overs.

does anyone have any suggestions on a specific brand or what to look for in a kit?
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2005, 10:17 AM
Official Historian

Have you looked into doing a spring over axle conversion? It has been mentioned a couple times but you haven't commented on it.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2005, 11:49 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Now, this is just my opinion, but...

A SOA can be a great way to improve your jeep, but I usually hesistate to suggest that to someone who's asking questions like how long of shackles he needs to get to lift his jeep another 2 inches. [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

SOA is a lot of work, involves driveshafts mods, a SYE, steering mods, quite often some custom fabrication, and can be unsafe if not done correctly.

If he's just looking to run 33s, an approach with a bolt-on SUA kit, and a SLIGHT body lift of 1" or 1.25", and a SLIGHT shackle lift of 1/2" would be a good combination. This is not neccessarily a 'poser' configuration, will perform well, and can be done by the average mechanic.

I understand the comments made about body lifts, but if we're that concerned about fan clearance and the mechanically intense solution of moving the fan shroud 1", an SOA is not the simple answer.

No offense to anyone, but I get worried when people get sent down the SOA road after asking a question about "what size wrench do I need to put on my 6" shackles."

There's a lot written about SOA. Do your own research, and see if this is the direction you want to go. People who say it's "almost free -- just flip the axle below the spring" aren't telling you the whole truth.

Just my $0.02.
Good luck,
Pete
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2005, 12:47 PM
Official Historian

True, for 33's, a 2-1/2" spring lift and a 1" body lift or fender trimming will be fine.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2005, 03:48 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[ QUOTE ]
True, for 33's, a 2-1/2" spring lift and a 1" body lift or fender trimming will be fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not on a YJ. I'm running a 2 1/2 spring lift and a 1" bl and I get some good rubbing from my 32's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode