68 cj power brakes - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-07-2005, 11:42 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

68 cj power brakes

Bigger tires, lower gears and broken brake lines have me thinking about upgrading to power brakes. I was looking at the hydro boost in my diesle and thinking it is a bit involved and with full hydro steering I am not sure that would work out.

So for those who have done it in a early cj with pedels mounted under the floor, gimme some advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2005, 06:43 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: 68 cj power brakes

Find yourself a set of 72-75 CJ5 pedals and they will fit with the least problems since the tub in that era is essentially the older tub so the floor is bent up the same. The brakes are easy, it is the clutch you have to figure out. I went to a hydrolic clutch with wilwood parts. You can put pretty much anything in for power brakes if you can fit it. Only thing bout power brakes is that they are good when the motor is running, but if you stall out on a hill or something you will have to use leg power to hold it on the hill. And with a normal brake setup it will be simpler. But make sure you goto 11 inch brakes or maybe go disc. I used a 68 corvette MC.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2005, 04:52 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

I was concidering leaving the stock set up in, but since I am putting waggie axles in, I was thinking the old MC would not have the guts to keep up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2005, 06:46 PM
Keyboard Implanted

The stock MC is only a single resovior, and if you are staying stock it will be OK. but if you are upgrading then the firewall pedals and MC/clutch setup would be your best bet. You would get really tied of checking the MC fluid level gby going throguh the floors all the time, i know i did.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2007, 08:30 PM
Static112

I have a 61 cj5 and its my first jeep .I am working on the brake system. do any of you know where i can find alternative parts that fit/work other than j.c.whitney$$$$$$. I would really like to convert to a double bowl mc rather than the stock single teacup. this jeep is off road use only. any help is great. (by parts I mean mc, shoes, lines, wheel cyl, spring kits....ect) Thanks.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-05-2007, 06:04 AM

Static, welcome to the board! You should have started a new thread with your question - we buy blank threads by the gross, so they're cheap! Changing the topic of a thread this way is bad form, called a thread hijack. But since this thread iis so old, I'll answer your question here anyway.

The purpose of the double-reservior master cylinder is to divide the brake system into two circuts - front and back. That way if the fluid leaks out of one, the other crcuit will still have stopping power. That's not very important in an off-road only vehicle, so I wouldn't bother upgrading.

But if you really want to do it, the best way is probably to take a complete system off of a junkyard truck, including at least the front axel. That way all of the components will work properly together. You can't put a MC from a disk-brake truck onto a front-drum system.

How much work the swap will require depends on the truck. Your Jeep has a closed-knuckle front axel, so it will probably have to be swapped out for the truck's front axel. You'll be switching to disk brakes, and no disk setup is going to bolt onto your Jeep's axel. It is probably possible to swap different drum brakes onto your front axel, but that would take a lot of work for very little gain.

I don't know what back axel your Jeep has, but you can probably switch brakes there as easily as re-drilling the mounting holes in the backing plate.

EVERYTHING's easy for the guy who doesn't have to do it.
B. Dash Fabrication

Last edited by Jim_Lou; 08-05-2007 at 06:12 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode