Mix and match brakes. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-07-2005, 07:04 PM Thread Starter

Mix and match brakes.

I'm 1/2 way through the D44 f/r swap right now, I've got the rear in, and the front is about 1 weekend away from being in, but I'm a little concerned about the brakes right now.

When I installd the 44rear, from the scout in my YJ, I noticed that the wheel cylinders were quite a bit bigger, but it wasn't too much of a problem. After being adjusted and bled, they seemed to work alright, although they were going a little far down on the peddle before getting resistance.

I assume when I put the front in my jeep, I'm going to get something similar, which isn't going to be good, because I'm running out of stroke as it is now.

So here's my question, how do I upgrade my YJ stuff.. if I need to? to correct this problem?

I assume its a matter of pushing more fluid, because the cylinders are bigger then before.. is this just a problem now because the back cylinders aren't a "match" for the front.. or is it because bigger cylinders mean more fluid needed?

I was looking at the upgrade with the E350 parts.. but I've also read lots of stuff on people doing the wrong upgrades and not getting the correct results..

Anyone wana chime in here and point me in the right direction?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-07-2005, 07:20 PM

Re: Mix and match brakes.

[ QUOTE ]
was looking at the upgrade with the E350 parts..

[/ QUOTE ]
your doing ahalf ton upgdrade as far as axles. you should only need a 1/2 ton master then...........
you can get to big of pistons in the master and to small of wheel cyclinders/calipers and have it hurt braking.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-07-2005, 07:41 PM Thread Starter

ah.. ok

So what should I be looking for, do I need to upgrade to a 1/2ton master cylinder? booster?

Any particular one thats directly bolt on?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-07-2005, 08:28 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[ QUOTE ]
ah.. ok

So what should I be looking for, do I need to upgrade to a 1/2ton master cylinder? booster?

Any particular one thats directly bolt on?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

Maybe you need to do a little math...

Read this post and don't forget to follow the links from my rather long contribution.

<u>Brake Problem Continued. </u>

I will be happy to help... it must be done! [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

[img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
Dale

Edit: Nylon Rope will not be required. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2005, 01:14 AM Thread Starter

WAY too much information in that post, and unfortunately its mostly geared toward disk rears... I know you have to match the calipers/cylinders to the MC/Booster..

I'm just curious, I'm upgrading to 1/2 ton brakes.

Rears are drums, Scout cylinder in the back.
Fronts are disks, Jeep Waggy/Chevy calipers.

MC and Booster are stock Jeep YJ.

There must be tonnes of you guys running this brake setup, will the YJ stuff work? or will it need to be upgraded to Chevy/Ford 1/2 ton stuff?

I don't really feel like getting a complete understanding of all this stuff right now, the th-350 is on its way out too. [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] if no one else is running something similar on the axle end, then I guess I'll just try it out, and then investigate if it doesn't work.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2005, 05:02 AM
Can't Get Enough

The YJ master cylinder is probably not up to the task. There is a lot of good info in the other post. If nothing else you should read the links. What you need to know
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2005, 08:20 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

The YJ is definetly not up to the task. I'm running this exact setup. Scout drums in the back and waggy front disks. I'm in the process of upgrading the rear to disk. What I have experienced is that the rear brakes work if adjusted properly, but the fronts don't work worth a damn. My problem was that if I put new shoes in the back, it would be barely adequite, but go for one mud run that eats the shoes, and they became useless (reason for disk brakes)...
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2005, 08:46 AM
Can't Get Enough

This may be too easy, but will a master cylinder from a scout work on the YJ? If so you can put on the same size master cylinder that originally worked with those type axles? And if it won't can you get the specs from the scout mster cylinder and find a master cylinder with similar bore, stroke etc. that will work? I'm assuming that both axles came from a scout and you could just engineer it based on what was originally used for those axles, but I may be off base here [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2005, 09:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This may be too easy, but will a master cylinder from a scout work on the YJ?

[/ QUOTE ]
Or at least one of the same size bore and stroke!

Kerry this makes so much sense, and is so straight forward you would think it would be a no brainer. It was engineered once and if it worked right then why not when you move it to the other vehicle keeping weight and size as a concideration. [img]images/graemlins/bag.gif[/img]

Good call [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2005, 09:55 AM

Can't think of a reason not to go that route.
Although I would suggest a FS Waggy M/Cyl.

If you think asking for Jeep parts jacks the price up, try saying I need XXX for y year Scout and see what happens.

The only thing I can think of is that most all FS Waggys were power brakes so bolting to your booster *might* be a problem.

FWIW - I am using all ford rear brake parts (Shoes, Cyls, spring kits etc) (find a year F100 or F150 that had a D44 rear) on my Scout D44 rear axles. All the brake parts interchange and are cheaper and easier to come by. Only the drums are different, due to the axle stick out length.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode