1950 Willys Wagon questions? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-07-2005, 07:03 AM Thread Starter
Addict

1950 Willys Wagon questions?

I found a 1950 wagon 4x4. It's not really for sale, but I'm going to try and buy it. A friend of mine was at an auction, and bought it for $900. He doesn't know a open end wrench from a box end, let alone anything about Jeeps. He just thought it was cool. From what I can tell, the F-head 4 cyl. is seized up. The body is outstanding. There are some rust bubbles along the bottom edges, the only hole is on the passenger rear quarter behind the rear tire. The tailgate, liftgate, and doors are perfect, not even a rust bubble. The glass is all there, the headliner is perfect, and the seats and inner door panels don't even have a tear in them. All the gages, radio etc is there also. It would appear to have the original spare, and all the badges, and the original chrome bumpers with willys stamped into them. I believe the drive train must be the F-head, T-90 borg warner 3-speed trans, and a Dana 18 twin stick t-case. I'm not sure about the axles. Where can I find more info? What should I offer him for it? I think it's worth at least $1500, although I'm not sure if he'll take it or not. I think I would hold onto the F head for resto purposes, but I think a buick V-6 would be the way to go for drivability. Will this engine bolt up? Will the trans and t-case take the extra horsepower?

Thanks,
Jake
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-07-2005, 07:23 AM
Can't Get Enough

Re: 1950 Willys Wagon questions?

Don't know much about Willys Jeeps, but did a quick search and here are a couple Willys boards that might have some info to help....also. I'm sure some folks here will chime in a help you as well...

Willys Jeeps

This one is right here from the off-road web site Willys Truck
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-07-2005, 07:31 AM
Keyboard Implanted

kinda off topic, but if you're looking, i think Nick (Knifeboy2) here on the brd has a Willys pickup for sale, and i think hes asking 750 or something, dont qoute me on that....worth a look if yur interested
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-07-2005, 07:35 AM
Carpal \'Tunnel

www.willystech.com is also a good site. As for price, not really sure. The interior may look great but probly needs recovered anyways due to it drying out over the years. It sounds like its in great shape and would be a nice project. I've got a '60 pickup I bought a while back that I was gonna work on but now I just don't have the time so its goin up for sale again. PM me if you want more details, located in Dekalb IL.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-07-2005, 08:54 AM
Way Outta Control

Sounds like a great find.

A small block Chevy will fit just fine - if you cut and box in a hole in the firewall for the distributor - just under the wiper linkage.
AA has a simple adapter for adapting it to the T-90.
The T-90 will hold it as long as you don't jump on it too hard.

The Buick V6 would fit even easier, but not nears as much power.

I had one - a '55 Wagon/283 etc. for nearly 30 years. Been kicking myself for ever selling it.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-07-2005, 12:48 PM
JCP
Journeyman

The front axle is a dana 27 and the rear either a two part 44 (10 or 19 spline)with keyway hub or a oddball timkin (though I don't think those were used untill later in the pickups, henceI suspect the dana). A buick v6 225 oddfire or newer 231 is a good swap. The 225 came stock in alot of latter cj5s and jeepsters. You will need the bell housing from said jeepster or cj5 usually can be found for less than $100.

Look at Novaks web cite much good info.

jcp
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-07-2005, 02:10 PM Thread Starter
Addict

Thanks for all you input fellas!

Jake
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2005, 12:05 PM

I think the front end may be a dana 25.......I don't know the difference between a 25 and 27 though. Rear end could be a dana 41.......1950 was a change-over year for those. I'd verify before ordering any parts, etc. Open the tailgate and check the hinge for rust, they rust out badly, but there is a repair kit available for them. (can't remember who makes it but if I find it, I will post up)
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-09-2005, 06:44 AM Thread Starter
Addict

The tail gate hinges look pretty good. A little stiff, but I think WD-40 would be enough to fix it. Are there any automatic transmissions that are a direct bolt-up (without an adapter) to the model 18 t-case? I'm not sure about the axles either, I'll have to check. I know the front has closed knuckles.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-09-2005, 08:10 AM
Official Historian

There is a chance of a factory auto that will bolt up. In the 70's, the FSJ's used the TH400 between the AMC V8 and the dana 20. The adapter will work for the 18 as well. I'm not sure about the output shaft though. I think there were 2 different spline counts on the dana 20 with one being the same as the 18.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode