Clutch Linkage (mechanical) question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-07-2005, 07:02 AM Thread Starter

Clutch Linkage (mechanical) question

So I have a full load of stuff in the jeep, moving from one apt to another. Soon as I pull out of the driveway, press on the clutch pedal and bam, pedal goes to the floor, can't disengage the clutch.

Look underneath and the linkage between the pedal rod and the clutch fork (I think that's what it is) has slipped out, due to a huge amount of wear on the metal at the end where the rod is connected to the clutch pedal rod.

Anyhow, in looking for replacement parts, I have one burning question:

The thing they call a jamnut has a round end which seems to rest in the corresponding round divot in the lever sticking out of the side of the transmission (which I may have correctly or incorrectly called the clutch fork). I attached a diagram with the two parts I am talking about circled in case I am describing them incorrectly.

Is there no attachment between the jamnut and the divot? It just rests in there? Unless I lost a piece, there doesn't seem to be anything securing that end.

thanks,
Chris
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1395004-clutch_system.jpg (66.1 KB, 84 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-07-2005, 07:28 AM
Pooh-Bah

Re: Clutch Linkage (mechanical) question

There should be a spring to hold tension on the coupling, but there is no mechanical connection. It just rests in the divot.
Chris
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-07-2005, 09:16 AM

Here is a good diagram

Clutch diagram

If you decide to order from there - note that the adjusting nut part "F" does NOT come with that kit. But, it is available sperately for (IIRC) about $4.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-07-2005, 10:03 AM

On that threaded adjuster it appears there is some other part between the adjuster and the clutch fork but I never found one on the 12 or so CJ's I have pulled apart.

I checked on my Factory Part List and it does have a number. J313 0998 and it's designated as a SEAL ??

I have no idea what it seals.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-07-2005, 11:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Is there no attachment between the jamnut and the divot? It just rests in there? Unless I lost a piece, there doesn't seem to be anything securing that end.

[/ QUOTE ]

The end peice that rests against the jamb nut, should be threaded to shorten or lengthen to make adjustments, then use the jamb nut to make it secure. Item 24 in your diagram is the spring that holds it all together. The part you are calling the divot(adjuster) rests in the socket on the clutch "yoke".
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-07-2005, 01:18 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys- does anyone have a photo of how this should look? I'm not quite clear where the spring attaches, and haven't been able to find anything which shows me this. There are two small holes either side of the divot on the clutch "yoke" which I'm wondering if the spring used to hook there?
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-07-2005, 02:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There are two small holes either side of the divot on the clutch "yoke" which I'm wondering if the spring used to hook there?

[/ QUOTE ]

That sounds like the right place on the yoke. I have no picture but depending on the length of the spring it may attach on the adjusting rod where it goes through the bell crank. This way it keeps pressure on the rod forcing it onto the yoke and not adding any additional force to the clutch.
The other way is it may attach to a tab on the bell housing keeping forward tension on the yoke forcing it into the adjuster rod. In this application it will create more force on the back pressure on the pedal when you apply the clutch.

Option #1 is the better, but again it all depends on the length of the spring.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2005, 11:20 AM Thread Starter

Ugh. Fixed the adjuster/jambnut rod. Pressed on the clutch pedal and the bellcrank rod breaks. There's some play elsewhere in the linkage so I guess I'm going to change the whole thing.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-09-2005, 12:07 PM
JohnR

If you are going to change the whole thing I recommend going hydrolic. You won't have to be concerned with chasis flex causing it to pop out at the wrong time. Also, I replaced all of my bell crank, spring and actuator 5 years ago and there is this cheesy rubber boot that holds the bell crank ball to the actuator rod that has rotted and is falling off again. I had to fab one out of old bicycle innertubing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode