gas tank and skid? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-06-2005, 10:46 PM
bluecj77

gas tank and skid?

I'm currently running a 22 gallon(?) steel tank. It's relatively durable, but I think I've given it one too many smacks on the rocks. It's pretty trashed and leaking so it looks like I might have to replace it. My question is what fuel tank and skid plate combinations are people running and are they happy with them. I'm looking for BEEF on a budget. Any reviews or information is greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-07-2005, 02:49 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Re: gas tank and skid?

22 gallon steel? Now I could be wrong, but I think even the factory 22 gallon tanks are poly. Is it aftermarket? If so, you'll probably need to replace the skid plate too. If you replace it with a 22, go poly. You might pay more, but at least it won't rust. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-07-2005, 05:05 PM
bluecj77

Yea, it is aftermarket. At least that's what the PO said. I'm looking to hear what people on here run for tanks and aftermarket skids or even what they think of any they have seen. I'm trying to gather info because even if I can get mine to stop leaking now, I expect it will need replacing in the not too distant future. Thanks for any info you can provide.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-07-2005, 05:48 PM

Both Kilby and Four X Doctor make 1/4" skid plates for the stock 20 gal. tank. I have the FXD skid and it's a quality piece. The 20 gal tank sits about 2" lower than the 15 gal tank. The FXD skid is angled on the bottom, trailing edge, which helps the departure angle. I've hit the FXD skid a few times and all it did was scrape the paint.

I waisted $230.00 for one of those lousy 22 Gal aftermarket kits. I lowers the tank over 4" and the skid extensions weaken the skid so much that I nearly lost the tank after just one hit. Very poor design.

I couldn't find a heavy duty skid for the stock 15 gal tank.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-07-2005, 06:30 PM

I am interested to hear what folks say on this too.

We have the tank out of the Beast now (for other surgery) and it is dented and leaking - so it is going to get replaced. I just haven't figured out what with.

I half want to go with a fuel cell, but I hate to give up the bed space.

I am thinking factory (or OMIX) poly.

In any event - we will be making the skid here.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-07-2005, 06:53 PM
Keyboard Implanted

The stock (but optional) 20 gallon CJ tank from 198X to 1986 is poly and the skid plate is OK. It does not effect your clearance. Don't think that I have ever noticed an after market skid plate for this odd shaped tank. You can make a pretty good dent in the skid and not effect the tank, too bad about your sending unit, oh well.

You will note that I said 20 gallon, often folks seem to add a gallon or two but the fact is that it holds 20 gallons.

These are often for sale on eBay, the going price isn't consistent. You want both the tank and skid plate because it is a strange shape and that will make it bolt in for several years of CJ, likely need to drill a few holes for other years. Be careful of the shipping because it's pretty large but not heavy.

[ QUOTE ]
I waisted $230.00 for one of those lousy 22 Gal aftermarket kits. I lowers the tank over 4" and the skid extensions weaken the skid so much that I nearly lost the tank after just one hit. Very poor design.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]images/graemlins/chairfall.gif[/img] While I didn't actually buy the thing... I have one and yes for off-road use it's a stupid design. Been thinking about putting it in my Scrambler.

[img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
Dale
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-09-2005, 06:24 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I've got the factory 20 gal poly in my CJ-7 with the Four X Doctor skid plate as well. Man is that tough! The original sheet metal "skid plate" (I hate to even call it that) was a POS and rusting apart. The 20 gal hangs a bit lower than the 15 but the extra range is worth it unless you are an extreme rock crawler and need every bit of clearance. I've bashed my 4XD skidder on many rocks and stumps, even jack up the Jeep under it. I'm happy with it.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-09-2005, 07:38 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Well I stand corrected... there is an aftermarket skid for the CJ stock 20 gallon tank.

Smoking Smokngun, there will be a free adult beverage waiting for you at the Bash.

Note: The deep end is toward the axle. Click on the picture for more information.

I saved that link (the rust is coming and it never sleeps!).

[img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
Dale
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode