need help finding the right tap. (not beer related - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-06-2005, 01:05 PM Thread Starter
Journeyman

need help finding the right tap. (not beer related

I'm replacing the brake lines on my 78 cj and noticed the threads on one of the fittings for the prop. valve are boogered. (inside valve) I wanted to get a tap and clean up the threads, but I don't think this size exists. I used the thread guage and it looks like it's 24 tpi. the only problem is I can't find a 7/16 24 nf tap anywhere. Tried sears, home depot, pep boys, and various local auto and hardware stores. the closest I found is 7/16 20, but holding the fitting next to it there is definitly a slight difference in the threads. any suggestions? should I retap the fitting and inside of valve to 7/16 20? Is this metric? Am I looking in the wrong places for a tap for this kind of fitting? I'm thinkng of going to a machine shop to see if anything can be done. appreciate any suggestions. this is another afternoon project, that's going on 3 weeks now. Alex
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-06-2005, 02:23 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: need help finding the right tap. (not beer rel

If it is a fitting it is gonna be a pipe tap I bet. i don't have a listing for that size either, But if you are sure it it is that size Try a company like Wholesale tool or MSC. There is also a cheap place to buy taps online, but I cannot find the link right now.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-06-2005, 08:47 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: need help finding the right tap. (not beer related

Oh if it were so simple as to say that it's NPT, BSP or JIS for that matter. There are more standards than you can shake a stick at for "Tube Fittings". [img]images/graemlins/bs.gif[/img]

Here is a PDF from Eaton (they do lots of automotive components).

<u>Fitting Identification</u>

Hmmm so what is the common standard for DOT brake line? Is there a standard? [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Actually there are two standards (sorta), one is the old SAE spec'd components (likely what you need) and the other is the metric version (for the most part JIS). [img]images/graemlins/censor.gif[/img] And yes there are parts made to convert between the two.

Just for a different flavor the Aircraft industry has there own standard... likely superior to most of the rest (good idea if you are going to fly) but NOT DOT approved.

If you really want a mess... start with a British designed machine, with lots of pipe/tubing. Then get some half whit folks here in the USA to transfer the manufacture of that same machine to China... Wow that hurts even ten years later... Never mind. [img]images/graemlins/wall.gif[/img]

I toss all of this out because Tube Fitting threads don't comply to the standards of easy to find taps. It is all specialty machining. [img]images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/thud.gif[/img]

My best suggestion is that you buy a proportioning valve from eBay if you can't make it seal up. Then again maybe there is a board member that has a spare for cheap.

Good Luck

[img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
Dale
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-06-2005, 09:13 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Here is a good site that has some unusual stuff.

http://www.e-taps.com/Ofertapage%20028.html
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-06-2005, 09:17 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[ QUOTE ]
Here is a good site that has some unusual stuff.

http://www.e-taps.com/Ofertapage%20028.html

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahh so it bugs you too doesn't it...

It's evil the number of different standards and fitting types that there are.

[img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
Dale
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-07-2005, 11:39 AM Thread Starter
Journeyman

thanks for the info guys. Man, I never expected this to be so difficult to track down. right now i'm leaning towards going over the threads on both fittings with the next closest tap and die and putting some pipe dope or loc-tite or something similiar on the threads. unless of course, if anyone knows these don't mix with brass fittings?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode