removing rear hub - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-06-2005, 08:26 AM
dogman

removing rear hub

Spun my rear hub so I am going to replace it with a 1 piece
The side that spun was no problem to remove ,
The question I have how do I remove the hub on the axle that is still good. Do I need a special puller?
I tied a chain around the studs and gave it a few snaps
It did not do any good.Thanks for your help.

1983 cj7 amc 20
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-06-2005, 09:02 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: removing rear hub

I tried several things to include a 12 ton shop press and could not get mine apart. [img]images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

So I went down the road to an auto shop, the owner of the shop had to dig through an old tool box to find his "Hub Puller". [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

The hub puller looks like a very heavy duty three jaw puller with holes that can be fastened down to three wheel studs with lug nuts.

He put the hub puller on, tightened it down with one of the largest air impacts that I have ever seen and then smacked the hub once with a three pound ball-peen. Had both hubs off in about three minutes. [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Since he is also a client of mine he didn't charge me anything, a favor that I later returned. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I would suggest that you follow through with the one piece axles, but if you would like to go cheap (but much more work) see the "For Sale / Wanted" thread I posted a set of axles for FREE (plus shipping costs).

Good Luck

[img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
Dale
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-06-2005, 10:28 AM
Keyboard Implanted

I started wondering what a Hub Puller would cost....

Click on picture for more information.

This guy made his own:

<u>Description & Plans for a Hub Puller</u>

Dale
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-06-2005, 10:57 AM
Keyboard Implanted

I rented one from a local auto parts store, you only need it once. I still have my old 2 piece axles if you wan't em. Pay for shipping and a 12-pack and they are yours, PM me.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-06-2005, 11:39 AM
Way Outta Control

Get yourself a long, and fairly heavy chain.

Bolt a chain link to the hub.

Stretch the chain away from the hub.

Pick up the end of the chain.

Whip the chain.

The wave will travel to the hub.

The wave hitting the hub will do the same thing a hub puller does.

It works...

A poor-man's hub puller.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-06-2005, 11:49 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

[ QUOTE ]
Get yourself a long, and fairly heavy chain.

Bolt a chain link to the hub.

Stretch the chain away from the hub.

Pick up the end of the chain.

Whip the chain.

The wave will travel to the hub.

The wave hitting the hub will do the same thing a hub puller does.

It works...

A poor-man's hub pull

[/ QUOTE ]

This I gotta try some day.
[img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
The first time I seperated one, I got them apart with some heat and a big hammer. The second time, I took it to a 4x4 four shop here and they used a puller eactly like the first option posted, except it had a big hex end for an impact.

The second option also has merit. Could even use the spun hub as partof the unit maybe.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-06-2005, 12:03 PM
Official Curmudgeon

You can pull the hub, brake plate, axle and bearing all as a unit but itís gotta come apart anyway to get the brake backing plate off. So, beg borrow or rent the hub puller. Itís a lot easier to get apart on the Jeep.

Save the hubs, youíre gonna want one of Ďem some day when you build that swing, rear spare tire carrier.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-07-2005, 06:11 PM
Can't Get Enough

Thick plate of steel(Say 7" x 7" x 1/4"). Lay brake drum with flat side against plate centered. Scribe stud holes. Drill holes. Here's the kicker, find five 1/2"-20 coupling nuts. You know, those very tall nuts that you can use to put 3 foot all-theads (threaded rods) together with. Also you will need 5 say 8" long 1/2"-20 threaded rods. Put coupling nuts with threaded rods onto studs. Put flat plate on evenly with 2 flat washers per stud and lug nuts(tapered side out with lots of anti-seize on everything. Torque nuts evenly a good bit, eyeball the lengths of the rods. Hammer center of flat plate. Torque nuts again. Hammer center of plate. Rinse and repeat....keep tightening and hammering and prepare for the POP. [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-07-2005, 10:16 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[ QUOTE ]
Thick plate of steel(Say 7" x 7" x 1/4"). Lay brake drum with flat side against plate centered. Scribe stud holes. Drill holes. Here's the kicker, find five 1/2"-20 coupling nuts. You know, those very tall nuts that you can use to put 3 foot all-theads (threaded rods) together with. Also you will need 5 say 8" long 1/2"-20 threaded rods. Put coupling nuts with threaded rods onto studs. Put flat plate on evenly with 2 flat washers per stud and lug nuts(tapered side out with lots of anti-seize on everything. Torque nuts evenly a good bit, eyeball the lengths of the rods. Hammer center of flat plate. Torque nuts again. Hammer center of plate. Rinse and repeat....keep tightening and hammering and prepare for the POP. [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

You actually did that? If you ever do that again can you film it for me. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

As for KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) factor seems to hit both ends of the scale, simple in a brute force sorta way but complicated to rig up. Likely perfect for burning up some serious pent up frustration, therapeutic for sure.

Call me crazy but I would likely spend the $120 for a hub puller first, how much was all that rig worth anyway? [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

Dale
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2005, 11:49 AM
Can't Get Enough

Yes I did and it worked sweet. In my neck of the woods we have a scrap/recycling/used equipment/metals/hardware/you name it yard. http://www.josephfazzioinc.com/ Maybe I spent $20? BTW I found out that the other hub was not on per the distance spec. Now I don't know if this was an original installation spec. and a replacement dimension or just a replacement dimension so I just tightened that hub on a little more to match the spec and the other side that I replaced the hube and axle half.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode