97 TJ - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-05-2005, 10:09 PM
dirt magnet

97 TJ

Hey Gang
Looks like I am the new kid on the block. I joined this group hoping someone had a little more knowledge about my jeep than I do. Here is my problem. I installed a BDS 2" coil spacer lift on my 97TJ, including shocks. It looks great and rides fine on the street, but when I go offroad, even on mild bumps and dips, the rearend bottoms on the bumpstops. I was told that because of the change in suspension geometry that the springs do not have the same stiffness as before. I can't seem to find any place that has springs with stock length that are heavier rated. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-06-2005, 07:44 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: 97 TJ

Hmmm Never heard of that before. Might try Ebay for a set of stock springs from a tj with hardtop. I know mine acts funny when i offroad it with the top on, but I never had it bottom out on anything but the tough stuff. Course I am running 3" lift springs. Where in KY are you from??

Oh and welcome there are a ton of cool folks around here.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-06-2005, 09:09 AM
Can't Get Enough

[ QUOTE ]
Looks like I am the new kid on the block.

[/ QUOTE ]
Welcome to the board, and the world of Jeeps.
And thanks for filling out your profile.

[ QUOTE ]
I was told that because of the change in suspension geometry that the springs do not have the same stiffness as before.

[/ QUOTE ]
Cough, Cough........BS!!
All the spacers have done is raise the body a little higher up off of the axels. Rumor is that the springs will wear faster using the spacers, but I tend to think that this is more due to harsher use than the spacers being there.
As for your "bottoming out". This is the problem I had "pre-lift" that brought me to this board for answers also.
1- Did the kit come with bumpstop extensions? I doubt it did, but thought I'd ask. If so, you really don't need them so ditch 'em.
2-This was my problem. Though I doubt it is the same for you since mine was pretty unusual, I think it's worth mentioning anyway. As it turns out, my Jeep had a lift on it before I bought it that had been removed prior to trade-in. Everything had been removed EXCEPT for the bumpstop extentions. And in the rear the rubber bumpers had been pulled, leaving the extension with the metal cup in place only about an inch from the bump pad. It made a horrible bang whenever I hit a decent bump or had people in the back.
Just something to look for.
And again, welcome to the board. If your interested, we'll have to get together with some of the local guys and hit Haspin sometime soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-07-2005, 11:33 AM
dirt magnet

Thanks for the reply. I'm in Louisville.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-07-2005, 11:40 AM
dirt magnet

Thanks for the reply. I added new bump stops in the old hangers. Have them cut down to allow about 3" above pad-- same as stock dimension. The front coils are fine. This only occurs on the rear. I was wondering if Rubicon springs would work and if they are same height but maybe stiffer?
Where and what is Haspin? I'm in Louisville.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-07-2005, 05:41 PM
Can't Get Enough

Haspin Acres

Our Last Trip Pictures, 01-29-05

Your a little over an hour South of me, and Haspin is about 45 minutes farther North. Not a bad drive for a good day of wheeling with some new friends.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode