It starts now what? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-05-2005, 07:24 PM Thread Starter

It starts now what?

An 87 YJ Loerado with 184K. I-6 5 spd A/C HardTop

Im picking it up with a salvage title, the insurance adjuster went way over board with the repairs and totaled the jeep. The paper work isnt finished so I cant take it home yet.

The previous owner has had it since new, its in pretty good shape never wheeled hard lots of highway miles. The motor was rebuilt about 75k ago, oil was changed fairly regular but NOTHING else was done unless it broke.

The engine trys to continue to run after shuting it off, Im thinking timing adjustment and tune up.

The motor seems to be in good shape after it warms up but this is a very frigid motor, the RPM start out at 500 and then seem to rise and fall as if the choke isnt working properly, I tried to adjust a throttle adjustment screw and it seems to have helped slighly, but Im told that the carb has always had problems, previous recall for rebuilding??

Any thoughts on rebuilt replacements or new carbs?

The tranny seems to shift really smooth, though there seems to be some noise when you let off the throttle, bearing problems?

The vaccum lines dont engage the front axle, are these worth replacing or go to some sort of manual control, what about the shift on the fly?

Is the 207 case worth keeping?

I know the rear axle will have to go, is the front up to handling 33 possibly 36 with light wheeling?

Since this is a drive around town/project jeep I want to know if these componets are worth saving or should I look to donor trucks?

88-92 1500 Chevy trucks with V8 700R 241?

Thanks for the help, this is a great board.

Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-05-2005, 07:33 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: It starts now what?

[ QUOTE ]
Any thoughts on rebuilt replacements or new carbs?

[/ QUOTE ]

Some people will disagree but I say get a remanned one for your application. You wont have to tune it, just bolt it on. Priceless!

[ QUOTE ]
The tranny seems to shift really smooth, though there seems to be some noise when you let off the throttle, bearing problems?

[/ QUOTE ]

I will guess that it's the transfer case bearings [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
The vaccum lines dont engage the front axle, are these worth replacing or go to some sort of manual control, what about the shift on the fly?

[/ QUOTE ]

$250 for a manual kit. Yes, if you can afford it.

[ QUOTE ]
I know the rear axle will have to go, is the front up to handling 33 possibly 36 with light wheeling?

[/ QUOTE ]

yes

Good luck!
Post pic's!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-06-2005, 08:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The vacuum lines dont engage the front axle, are these worth replacing or go to some sort of manual control, what about the shift on the fly?

[/ QUOTE ]

New lines will cost you about $28.00 from dealer, make sure they are hooked up right and check the operation of the shift motor on axle.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The BA10/5 is not worth repairing if it goes bad also that hydraulic T/O bearing -slave is also something to get rid of when you change it out.

[ QUOTE ]
Is the 207 case worth keeping?

[/ QUOTE ]

No toss it and get a 231. Keep in mind the BA tranny has a 21 spline output and the 231 will have a 23 spline input shaft, or it should.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
The rear axle on the 87 is a semi floater and way better than the typical C clip style coming on later YJ's, they can handle 33" tires inmost cases, mine has worked well for the last 18 years with 4;56 gears and 33" tires. bearings replaced one time. The front 30 has worked just as well with a couple u-joint replacements.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-06-2005, 11:29 AM
Way Outta Control

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How about fabing a homemade Posilock?

post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-06-2005, 11:50 AM
Official Curmudgeon

[ QUOTE ]
The engine trys to continue to run after shuting it off,

The motor seems to be in good shape after it warms up but this is a very frigid motor, the RPM start out at 500 and then seem to rise and fall as if the choke isnt working properly,

The vaccum lines dont engage the front axle,

[/ QUOTE ]
How about just looking for a vacuum leak first.

[ QUOTE ]
The tranny seems to shift really smooth, though there seems to be some noise when you let off the throttle,

[/ QUOTE ]
U-joint, highest probability.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-06-2005, 01:12 PM
Way Outta Control

Since those vacuum lines are hard to see and trace -- try blowing smoke through the hose. Wherever it comes out is the leak. Often a crack is hard to find otherwise.

But that's not an excuse to start smoking again, find somebody else to do it!

Works great for underdash heater controls, vapor cannister lines, etc..
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-06-2005, 04:41 PM
NIX
Keyboard Implanted

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode