What would you do? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-05-2005, 08:59 AM
jchappy

What would you do?

My budget for a new jeep as increased by 2000, so now I have 7000 to spend on a jeep. But here in California jeeps are kind of expensive. So here my problem. I can get a 92 to 95 or 96 jeep with a six cylinder or a newer jeep 97 to 99 with a 4 cylinder. What would you do? I am not looking for a daily drive I just want something to off road with or a weekend ride. I do need something to haul 2 kids in also.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-05-2005, 09:26 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: What would you do?

The only place I miss a larger engine is on the highway. For running back and forth to work (state roads) I don't mind my 4 cyl. Offroad the only place i miss it is in mud. I believe the TJ suspension to be superior out of the box, but it is more expensive and technical to improve than the YJ. You have to ask yourself what you want in the end. Good Luck
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-05-2005, 09:32 AM

get the six
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-05-2005, 09:44 AM
Carpal \'Tunnel

And you'll never find a '96 short wheelbase Jeep because they were never made that year. But for a starting budget of $7k I'd buy a '92-'95 YJ for no more than $5k and save that extra $2k for when you're ready to upgrade the Jeep with some lift and larger tires. Wait till you drive the Jeep a bit though, because you may want to spend that $2k on something else for the Jeep or find you don't need it for the Jeep right now and spend it on yourself. Or even save it for gas and insurance money....and gas is supposed to go up about a quarter within the next few days so maybe save it for that. YJ's are cheaper to upgrade when it comes time for it, so thats why they get my vote.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-05-2005, 09:45 AM
Veteran

My friend has a four, I have the six. The only time he can't keep up with me is in 4 High on sand dunes. When we are on trails, in 4 Low, he goes everywhere I go. I like the six on the highways, too. I would get the TJ with the four.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-05-2005, 12:50 PM
Keyboard Implanted

i have a 4, get a 6 if you can so you dont have to worry about upgrading to something bigger when you get bigger tires and stuff......

you can make a 4 work fine offroad, but its always nice to have power if you need it....

a 95 jeep should be cheap and still in good shape if you shop around......lots of bolt on stuff for YJs too, you can prolly start finding the 6 cyl TJs cheap soon, esp 97s
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-05-2005, 01:24 PM
Old Hand

Let's look at the pros/cons you would get with each one.

YJ Pros: More power, cheaper lifts and axle swaps
YJ Cons: Poorer ride quality and off-road ability (stock), worse gas mileage, higher miles most likely, and duh, square headlights on a jeep! [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

TJ Pros: Better ride quality, better gas mileage, better off-road ability (stock), round headlights! [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
TJ Cons: Less power, axle swaps and lift kits will cost you approximately 1 kidney

I would say go for the YJ since it's going to be mainly for a toy. I bought my TJ as a daily driver, weekend off-roader. Now that I have a good work truck and a nice ride for the wife's DD and other driving, the TJ sits waiting for summer, except on heavy snow days. If I had known when I bought it that that's what it would end up being, I could have saved a ton of money and headaches by going with a YJ. HTH.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-05-2005, 05:56 PM
Addict

My good friend has a YJ he told me was a '96. I said the same thing "they weren't made then" He bought it in late '96. The sales guy tried to get him to buy a TJ. They had to order the YJ, either from the factory or from a dealer. Took him two months to get it.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-05-2005, 10:17 PM
jchappy

Thanks for your help. I may end up with a yj just so i have the power later on. most of my off roading will be sand or hard pack desert. will see in a week or so what i get. :-)
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-05-2005, 11:55 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Is a good ol CJ not in the running? I would try to find one with a V8 if you want a little more power. They are easy to work on and cheaper to build than a TJ. I don't think I would be happy with a 4 banger myself. The YJ might work but you will catch hell over the malformed headlights. The YJ guys love this: Real jeeps have ROUND headlights! We like to tease the Yuppy Jeepers but they take it pretty well. [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode