money saved ....tires & lift or axles? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-03-2005, 11:05 AM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

money saved ....tires & lift or axles?

This is my first post and I need some advice. Saved money, enough for lift kit, tires and rims OR axles. My thought was 4" suspension lift 2" body lift with 35" tires. Brother says NO, go for Dana 44's first, then the lift and tires. [img]images/graemlins/wall.gif[/img]I don't want a "Pavement Princess" anymore. Jeep is 91 yj renegade. Original owner.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-03-2005, 12:46 PM
Veteran

Re: money saved ....tires & lift or axles?

Go for the suspension lift, no body lift, and smaller (32" or 33") tires. This will give your rear Dana 35 a better chance of surviving. Wheel for a while on this setup. Learn what the Jeep can and can't do. Get a feel for the vehicle. By the time you wear those tires out, you will:

1. Know whether or not you need bigger tires (and axles).

2. Have saved up money for the beefier axles.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-03-2005, 12:50 PM

I second that
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-03-2005, 01:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I third that....
A Body lift causes more problems than it solves.....

With 35" Tires, your tranny and diff will not survive....rule of thumb (or rule of Leve, CJTaz, take ur pick), 32-33" tires, 4.10 gears...35" tires, 4.56....hence, with your stock gears, even 31" tires will make your rig struggle...Axles are a good idea...but have a long term plan and figure on doing gears and lockers at the same time to save money.....

Then you have issues with driveline vibration, new shocks...etc.

The reality is...once you get over 31", the cost goes WAY up....you just can't add bigger tires and expect to off road with ease.

But you are off to a good start....your asking questions.....and believe you me....you will get plenty of answers....

Welcome and have fun.....
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-03-2005, 04:44 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Ah the struggle...

So many points to consider...

If you want 44s, you'll likely be going 5 on 5.5 wheels, so you won't want to buy new wheels now for your existing 5 on 4.5

You will want to regear for the 35s, and you don't really want to spend money on regearing a dana35.

And, you don't 'really' want to run 35s on a dana35, anyway.

So, for our first conclusion .....suspension aside: 35s, wheels, and axles, all sort of go together.

Now, there are other options to going 44s that you may want to look into. The dana 30 front you have will handle 35s (with the larger u-joint halfshafts) but many consider that its limit. Put a Ford 8.8 in the rear, retaining your 5 on 4.5, you'd have disc brakes all around. There 'are' dana44 rear axles for YJs (from comanchees and cherokees) with a 5 on 4.5 pattern, but they are hard to find, and are drum brakes.

So, you could go different ways....

Now, suspensions: a 4" suspension is the limit for your slip yoke, and you may go through u-joints in your rear driveshaft at a higher rate. A SYE, and a CV shaft are in the cards at some point. Because, a 4" lift with a drop-transfer case is ok, but you really lose ground clearance with it, almost defeating the lift.

Someday you will want a SYE and a CV shaft to go along with your lifted suspension.

Options:
1) Do nothing now, put money in bank, save more money to get new axles, 4" lift, regear, wheels, SYE, CV shaft, 35s.
2) Smaller lift now - 2.5"-3.5", 31s on your stock wheels, and have a great time as you learn. Go bigger later.
3) Go 4" suspension now, 32s (probably the outside limit on your stock gears, and won't wheel as well - your crawling ability is more reduced the larger you go.)

I'd go #2.

Good luck
Pete
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-03-2005, 04:49 PM
Way Outta Control

Buy/fab/install a full roll cage and a winch before you even think about a lift...
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-03-2005, 04:51 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

4 or 6 cylinder? If you have a six cylinder, the added torque and Hp will help with the gearing problems. If you have a four, be very careful, most say gearing is a must past 31" tires. Welcome [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-03-2005, 04:55 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[ QUOTE ]
Buy/fab/install a full roll cage and a winch before you even think about a lift...

[/ QUOTE ]

+1 [img]images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/applause.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-03-2005, 05:54 PM

While it would appear that LEVE and I have certain philosophical differences of opinion, I have to say that Iím 100% on board with his suggestion. My own cage is about to get seriously beefed up. I also concur with the "do what you have to to get 31's on it" and enjoy, as you figure out what you want to do with the next pile of money.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-03-2005, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

I've been running 30x9.5x15 Goodyear Wrangler GSA's for the last three years as they don't make the 29"s that were originally on her. She's an I6. Any suggestions on a good brand of roll cage? And bolt in or weld? I read about April and I've seen pictures of jeeps been sold for parts on www.jeepstuff.8m.com in Calgary. That alone convinced me, I just didn't have a roll cage this high on my list. I so appreciate the advice and words of wisdom that you all are giving me as the only other person that I know that has a jeep is my brother. [img]images/graemlins/bow.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode