Alittle Lift Kit Help?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2005, 09:07 PM
TMP1

Alittle Lift Kit Help??

I saw a post on TJ lift kits and what people like best. I am having trouble finding "reviews" of various kits and I am looking for some guidance? What kits do people use and recommend and what kits if any has anyone experienced problems with?? I have an '04 TJ I was looking at the Rubicon Express 4.5" lift, I would like to run 35's Comments/Suggestions?? Also what are the +/-'s of long arm suspension? Also, Do I replace the factory shocks at this time?? Kinda new to this but really have a blast off-road All help is appreciated?? Thanks in advance.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-02-2005, 10:25 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Re: Alittle Lift Kit Help??

RRich had a bunch of issues with his TJ lift, you might want to PM him...
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-02-2005, 10:42 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Alittle Lift Kit Help??

As you will soon hear, not all lifts are created equal....while my CJ may have leaf springs, some of the issues are the same among jeeps....

1. Yes, you will need to change shocks. You want to install the lift and then measure the distance between the two mounting bolts...then choose your shock size based on appropreate travel.
2. If you really want 35"'s, then plan on gear changes. With 35's you will want about 4.56 gears....and while your at it, you might as well install lockers....expect to spend about $1000/axle including labor.
3. 4.5" also means a CV drive shaft and I believe that a SYE would be in order as well.
4. A long arm will help the ride a little bit....however, see if you can get it with rubber bushings instead of polly....I know polly looks cool...but it also trasmits all the road vibration to your vehicle....I'll never use polly again.

So, based on wanting 35" tires....I guess your looking at bewteen $3000 and $8000 bucks.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode