Speed Chips for sale on ebay - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2005, 03:55 PM
Roy99TJ

Speed Chips for sale on ebay

I see a whole bunch of speed chips listed on ebay that gives you up to 20HP increase on Jeep TJ Wranglers... This looks like nothing more than a resistor that plugs into the removed connector from the oxygen sensor. Anyone added this yet? Does anyone know what the value of the resistor might be... I see prices from 3 dols to 25 dols for this 10 cent resistor... RB from VA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2005, 04:13 PM
Way Outta Control

Re: Speed Chips for sale on ebay

post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2005, 05:10 PM
Official Curmudgeon

Contrary to the opinion expressed below your post, there are tricks to make the Ďputer go into more of a performance mode rather than emissions/fuel economy mode. For the TPI Chevy I run in my Jeep, you can gain a bit of hp by unplugging the coolant temperature sensor and plugging in a particular value resistor. You can gain by bypassing the coolant path through the throttle body.

These tricks are published on the net and or in magazines and such. You are paying for somebody to do the research for you. I see the coolant bypass on ebay every time I do a search for TPI stuff. I suspect that itís just a piece of copper tubing that you use to join the ends of the hoses that you took loose from the throttle body. Me, Iíd just buy a longer hose but Iím not going to do it anyway.

Part of the problem is knowing when and if to do these mods. A carburetor on a race engine doesnít have a choke but if you remove yours you will probably find it hard to start in colder weather. A race engine doesnít have a heat riser butterfly in the exhaust either but if you remove yours, you can expect your engine to run poorly until it warms up. Fooling the temperature sensor has its drawbacks too, the computer controls the fan so it never comes on.

Itís all about knowing what to do and when to do it. You also have to be careful of hp gain claims. They are usually true but most people assume that it is a hp gain through the whole curve. Itís not, and the gain is often at an rpm you donít use unless youíre running your TJ at the drag strip. In the useful rpm range itís often marginal or nil.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2005, 05:25 PM

A buddy of mine got one of those "chips" from ebay for his Tundra. He could not resist the $5 it cost him. I would have even spent the $5 to find out. Like CJ7Taz pointed out it does try to fool the heat sensor. I hooked up my laptop with an OBDII module and checked out what it was doing. There were 3 settings you could choose, so we started out with the High Performance setting. All i noticed it was doing was incrased the rpms at idle, changed the timing and made it ping like crazy when he stepped on it. After that he just pulled it off and threw it in the trash.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode