quadra-trac - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2005, 02:53 PM
chrisce

quadra-trac

Thought I posted this earlier guess not.
Anyway what do you guys think about the quadra-trac transfer case? How are they off road? Any common problems? Is it best just to swap out or upgrade? How does the emergency mode work?
I found out that low range was an option are they hard to find?
This is for a 79 cj7.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2005, 04:24 PM
Addict

Re: quadra-trac

If you do a search you'll likely find lots of good info on the qtrac. But here are some quick thoughts. I assume you mean the full-time 4wd used in Jeeps in the late 70's. If so, I had one for several years in my '77 CJ-7 and I liked it fine. Never had any major problems. Once I got the vacuum lines hooked back up the "Emergency Switch" worked fine. What it does is apply vacuum to a shift fork that "locks" the transfer case so that it applies power equally to the front and rear differentials. When not locked the power is biased and works like a limited slip differential applying an uneven split of power between the front and rear. The major complaint/problem w/the qtrac is that it is chain driven and that chain stretches over time. You can usually tell when it start slipping when you get a [img]images/graemlins/thud.gif[/img] or klunk during hard acceleration from a stand still. I have read folks getting around 40K miles or so out of a new chain. I have since swapped out my qtrac for a Dana 300 but that involved an expensive adaptor (got mine from Novak), moving/modifying the skid plate, and lengthening and shortening the front and rear driveshafts respectively. Now since I've never got my Jeep back on the road after I swapped the drivetrain into a new frames/body I can't say if it was worth the effort of the swap. Oh yeah, you also have to swap some internal pieces of the TH-400 auto transmission. I had this done when I had a bench rebuild done on my tranny. As for low range, it is a bolt on addition. I actually still have my old one and it worked fine. Only thing is you have to fab up a shift lever for it. If you are interested I'd be willing to sell my old qtrac stuff. I have 2 qtracs, both likely need chains but both worked when pulled, I also a low range unit that also worked and the old internal tranny pieces I swapped out for the 300 swap. These are all heavy peices so depending on where you are shipping may be prohibitive. If interested email me at [email protected] since I do not check this board everyday. Good luck,
rich
Atlantic City, NJ
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2005, 08:56 PM
Official Historian

Re: quadra-trac

That was a good reply. I have one too and like it as well. I mounted my switch just to the left of the headlight switch. I am in the process of swapping in a 700R4.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode