What is the favorite TJ lift kit and height? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2005, 12:11 AM
DenniS4R

What is the favorite TJ lift kit and height?

I posted 3 long posts in a row. All of them errored and got erased. This is attempt 4. So I am making it short and sweet to see if maybe this one will work. Sorry for my shortness.

How high are people lfiting their TJ's for real off road use and not show? And what kits do people recommend? And what tire size?

Dennis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2005, 12:18 AM
DenniS4R

Re: What is the favorite TJ lift kit and height?

Sorry for my shortness. I wrote 3 real long winded posts about my old rides and how I had to sell when my kid was born. And now I want to build a nice TJ for around town and off roading to my favorite camping sites with my family. I did a few Jeep Jamborees in the past when I was younger. I think I want to do some of those again with my son now. I want to build a big stupid toy for the woods. But I still want it to have something left for every day around town driving. I have a conversion van for traveling. So going a bit hard core with this build is an option.

Please give any advice. I want real opinions......

Dennis
http://www.offroad.com/jeep/readers/cuevas.htm
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2005, 06:40 AM
Keyboard Implanted

If you are looking a well performing lift for a TJ, then you should be looking at a long arm lift. The most common heights are 4" or 6" With that much lift you could clear 33-35" tires with no problems. If you are willing to bust out the saw, and trim some fender, you could run larger tires.
Keep in mind that what ever lift you chose, and what ever you do for tires... You axles are going to have to deal with. If you have the D30/35 set up on your TJ, then 33" tires are probably as big as you would want to go. Anything bigger, and you better be sure to have lots of extra D35 shafts. If you have a D44 in your TJ, then your D30 would be the weak point, and they seem to be pretty good up to about 35" inches.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2005, 08:55 AM
Way Outta Control

I'm VERY happy with my Rubicon Express Long Arm on my Rubicon. The RE is a bit pricey though compared to some of the others. Good quality, strong!
It street handles well, corners flat, and off road it's awesome!

I opted for the 4.5" lift - because it still fits in my garage - barely if you tilt the door after I modified the door - barely. But the 5.5" kit is the same thing, just slightly longer springs. You can always upgrade the springs.

I run 35x12.5 MTR's, the rears just barely touch on a twisted up jounce - they touch the outside of the frame, not the body. Front's clear fine. No body lift.

What I did that isn't stock for it, but since it was apart -
- I gussetted the places where the arms attach to the belly pan, probably strong enough like it is, but I wanted it even stronger.
Strengthened the "ears" where the arms attach to the axles - and covered them with skid plates.
- I used Rancho adjustable 9000 shocks instead of theirs.
- Limit straps on the axles -- the arms will allow the axle to droop as far as it wants - way beyond where the spring can fall loose. Normally the shock stops the travel, but that's hard on shocks - so the strap takes the brunt of it.
- I turned the rear shock mounts up so they are flat, not hanging down like stock.
- Welded rather than bolted the axle Track bar extensions.
- Moved the air compressors for the lockers up under the hood - out of harm's way.

The only complaints I have about it is the Hiem ends are noisy sometimes -- sometimes sounds like something's broken.
- And since the Trackbar in the rear is not horizontal - the extension isn't long enough, it tends to windsteer - wanders in a wind. The lift is 4.5", yet they extend the axle end of the trackbar only 2 1/2". When I get to it - I'll drop the other end - frame end - another 2". That should put the TB angle back to stock. That should help.

It's not really a weekend project unless you have lots of help.

If I was to do it again, I'd do it again.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2005, 10:02 AM
Official Historian

One other thing to keep in mind is Jeep Jamboree "limits" tires size to 35".
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2005, 10:12 AM
Veteran

Now, I am not as hardcore as some of the other people on this board, but I really like my Rusty's 3" lift. It goes everywhere I really want to go. It isn't a long arm lift, so the ride is a little stiffer than stock, but not enough to evoke any complaints from my wife and it handles just like it did before I lifted it. I run 32" BFG ATs on it, though I am pretty sure 33"s would have fit just fine. The best thing was the cost. My wife and I just had our first child, so I was working on a shoestring budget. The lift was $500 including shocks. I also got an adjustable front trac bar for $65 or there abouts.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2005, 10:15 AM

anywhere from 2" to 6". I ran 36's on my old tj with 2" spacers, i didnt' have front fenders, the hood was hacked and the battery was moved to the back, the rear tub was trimmed and it still rubed a little in back. I know some one running q78's with a 3" terra lift. It's all a matter of how much flex you want and if your willing to bump stop extensions in or not. I'd say a good 3-4" lift is good for running 35's. How big do you want to go?
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2005, 10:21 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

My TJ has a 2" Old Man Emu lift and a 1 1/4" spring spacer. I run 32's and get just a little fender rub with the swaybar disconnected. Ride is very good and flexes well for a short-arm lift.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2005, 10:52 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Whatever Skooly has I love the way his TJ is set up... Maybee he will chime in.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2005, 11:31 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

I think Matt's is a 5 1/2" RE. I agree--it is awesome looking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode