Blowing fuse with LED's - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2005, 07:35 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

Blowing fuse with LED\'s

I just installed a set of Maxxima M42200R LED's into the back of my YJ. The install went well. Of course they wouldn't blink, so I installed a 552 flasher per one of my buddy's suggestions, and they blinked just fine and dandy....then I blew my turn signal fuse. I thought it was just a freak thing, so I replaced it, drove around some more, and it blew again. Anyone got an idea of what's going on? Why would the fuse blow?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2005, 07:51 PM

Re: Blowing fuse with LED\'s

Before swapping the flasher, did the lights come on and stay on?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2005, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

The lights would turn on, but when I'd hit the turn signal, the dash light would come on and stay on, but I don't believe anything happened with the LED.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2005, 04:44 AM

Well off the top of my head you didn't blow any fuses untill you replaced the lights. IF the flasher shorter it still should not blow out a fuse unles it was grounded some way.

The current draw should not be that bad to blow the fuses so maybe you pinched a wire some place or have some cracked insulation you were not aware of and since you moved things around, it now shorts out someplace.

Does the fuse blow all the time whether or not you have the TS or lights on or just when you havve the lights on?

Does it blow the fuse for the brake light also?? Sometimes the brake light fuse is on a different circuit all though it activates the same lights. This is just so you can narrow down the search a bit.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-02-2005, 07:37 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Well, here's the latest. Hopefully it'll help shed some light on my problem. I took the wiring harness back out and wrapped all my connections in electrical tape just in case there were any cuts in the insulation. Everything seemed well, but when I pulled into my apartment complex last night the turn signal fuse blew again. I parked the Jeep and thought I would turn the hazards on just to see, they didn't work, but the dash lights were flickering a bit. I then remembered that my brake lights are linked in with my hazards and decided to hit the brake pedal, then I lost the both the hazard and brake light fuses. So now I'm totally lost! The only thing that I can think to check, and I will shortly, is that maybe I wired the LED's backwards. What else could be causing this?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-02-2005, 11:42 PM

All of the LED's i've worked with will not light up at all if wired backwards (Light Emitting Diode) - Diodes only allow current to travel in one direction. If you wired it backwards, nothing should happen.

As already mentioned, LED's shouldn't be much of an amp draw, but it couldn't hurt checking.

I've had a melted ignition switch cause intermittent problems with my lighting. This eventually melted enough that the starter contact in the switch was fried. I was pulling to many amps from other accessories. Weird on yours that it just started after installing the LED's...
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-04-2005, 10:52 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

How do I check the lamp draw?

I've pretty much narrowed it down to the right hand side of the Jeep. It seems to only blow when I use the right hand signal. I swapped LED's with each other and the problem stayed at the right. I'm going to go swap the pigtails from one side to the other and see if that's the problem or not.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-04-2005, 11:08 PM
Mud in my Veins

This may be an "OH $#i7!"..., but have you *checked all the grounds*? [img]images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

Remember all that path of least resistance junk? [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-05-2005, 12:38 AM
Jeffcal64

if you can test for milliamps you should read 310mA for the MX-MA2200R then if you disconect all the ligh asemblies and hook one up at a time you may find one that has a direct short. I would try the light switch with everything disconected then one hooked up at a time then
add one everytime you test it maybe the complete load and not the individual fixture. [img]images/graemlins/usflag.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-06-2005, 04:05 AM
Greenfield54

Check for partial shorts in your wiring.Could be insulation chafing where the wires passed thru bodywork or rubbing against brackets etc. I doubt if the LEDs will overload the fuse as LEDs require much less current than filament type bulbs.Check with your manual if the fuse is of the right size (15 Amps,10 Amps?) but never replace it with one larger than the wirings are designed for. Anyway if the wirings check out ok and the fuse size is what the manual says it should be,check the the current rating of the LEDs by checking markings on the light housing or have an electrician pull them out and measure the current consumption with an ammeter. Hope this helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode