OT - Observations from Europe - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2005, 02:22 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

OT - Observations from Europe

When you are stuck in a small hotel in a small town in Spain.....and the TV has only 10 channels...you become gratefull that at least one of those channels is BBC Europe...translation, I can at least understand what is being said.

After 1 hour, it repeats....guess what rates up there with the war in Irag, nuc material in Iran, and Shell Oil's deal with the Middle East to buy LNG.....................Michale Jackson's trial..

Add to that the 30 min segment where they bash americans and their cars (like calling the Cadilac Escalade the "Black Male Automobile"), you start to get a sense of how other countries see us.

Which lead creadance to the saying "Perception is 49% of the Truth".

PS....after 2 hours, they finally mentioned how the Pope was doing.....in that time I heard about the Jackson trail 3 times and who won for best picture... [img]images/graemlins/offtopic.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2005, 02:51 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: OT - Observations from Europe

Yep.. I'm heading back to Austria this Friday for a week of skiing. Interested to see or hear their thoughts.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2005, 03:13 PM
NIX
Keyboard Implanted

Eurosport, Discovery, National Geographic, CNN, MTV, Pay TV???
Or were you staying in a real crappy hotel? Hey, you could have stayed at my place. You were in Europe anyway... [img]images/graemlins/chairfall.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2005, 07:14 PM

SKY TV!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2005, 07:48 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Turn the stupid TV off...

Go out and see what the people think (the real people that you meet), on the street or bars, whatever you like to do... go look for it and just talk to the people. Likely make a couple of friends and learn lots more than watching the tube.

No matter where you go... there you are. Make the best of it and have a good time, then you can come back and tell us if Michael Jackson is truly important to the folks in Spain (or anywhere for that matter).

I don't travel anymore (don't miss it either) but I always enjoyed discussing the news more than watching it. Where ever I went, there I was. [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
Dale
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2005, 11:02 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Nix, I would love nothing else but to stay at your place...drink beer and talk about/work on jeeps....but I'm afraid the 1K comute to the job site each morning would be a little rough.......

Dale....I do exactly that.....this is about my 10th trip to Spain....I have seen a lot...and know that there is a lot more to see....on my last trip my wife flew out for about a week and we went down to Valencia for the weekend....thats another story.....I should point out that I am very happily married and want to stay that way....if you have never been here.....oh boy....oh boy....and oh boy.....a single guy would be in hog heaven.....

About my only complints about Spain is the food....it's ok, but I'm a good ole boy from Texas who likes spicy food....Spanish food is nothing like Mexican food...and the eating habits are a little different...they eat at 2pm, and again after 9pm. I'm one of those who does not like to eat at after 7pm....anything later and I would rather not eat.

The good things....
The country...
The women...oh boy...
The wine...I think Spanish reds are better than anything else...
And the women...oh boy.....

And I only turned on the TV because I was in bed and usually watch the news to put me to sleep.....
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2005, 11:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
....Spanish food is nothing like Mexican food...

[/ QUOTE ]

Well duh! I can't imagine why Europeans wouldn't eat the same stuff as Mexicans! [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

All seriousness aside, I lived around the Med for almost 12 years and for the most part, I loved it. I got so used to the laid back lifestyle that it took me 2 years to get back to the American way when I came back home. Imagine your favorite eatery closing at 9 P.M.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2005, 11:55 AM

Wow 10 channels. When I was in Laguna Verde Mexico on a company service trip, they only had 1 TV in the whole town. and it only had 1 station. It makes Dilbert's, Elbonia, look like Vegas in comparison.

Boy do I have some stories about that trip. Riding shotgun with my rep realy ment riding shotgun.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2005, 12:07 PM
Keyboard Implanted

i understand 'bout them women in spain....its like that all along the medit. sea ...... i've never been inland more so i dont reall know about the rest of the country.

but yes, a single guy could get into some good trouble over there...especially with girls who dont hate americans
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2005, 01:56 PM

I lived in Germany for 3 years, and needless to say, I got REAL tired of CNN. We didn't even get BBC.

After I learned German, the TV was no better......Except late at night (those who have been know what I mean - It's not appropriate to say more here).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode