Dana 60's Front & Rear - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2005, 10:53 PM
runnwild1

Dana 60\'s Front & Rear

I have a Dana 60 Front from a 78 Ford and a Dana 60 rear from a 79 Ford F-250.

I'll probably go with a SB 350 with a bellhousing adapter to a ford tranny & T/C.

I've pretty much decided to run 35 or 36's with an SOA.

Lockers>> I've been looking at either an Ox Locker or an ARB for the front. (I have a york compressor from a ford/ the ox package comes with the R&P and cable)What's your experience and/or preference on these lockers?

Pretty much sold on the Detroit Locker for the rear.

R&P >>> What ratio should I get , 4.56 or 4.88? Will also be a daily driver (35 would be the smallest tires). Right now lookin to run a 350 SB into a NP-435, T-18 or T-19.

I've got the bucks and want to order but I don't want to make a mistake like I did on my wrangler>>33's w/3.73s.
Should have gone with 4.11's.

Help!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2005, 11:25 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Dana 60\'s Front & Rear

Meaty stuff... and you want it to be your Daily Driver.

Not impossible but maybe impractical (or not).

You can start here for the <u>Math</u> .

If you spend a little bit of time understanding the drive-train ratios... you won't make the same mistake twice.

[ QUOTE ]
Lockers>> I've been looking at either an Ox Locker or an ARB for the front. (I have a york compressor from a ford/ the ox package comes with the R&P and cable)What's your experience and/or preference on these lockers?

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you get an OX Locker?? They have been having some issues, not with the lockers but business issues.

ARB would be great in the front...

Detroit in the rear worked for me all day today. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Now there is the issue of your SOA, steering and all of the crazy stuff that comes along with that... Others will join in...

[ QUOTE ]
R&P >>> What ratio should I get , 4.56 or 4.88? Will also be a daily driver (35 would be the smallest tires). Right now lookin to run a 350 SB into a NP-435, T-18 or T-19.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, already put the Math back to you... but have you thought about how you drive that Jeep the most?

Is it more important to you that it run and handle well on road, in traffic, at highway speed (over 65 MPH), or are you willing to go much slower to have your T18 (no overdrive)? There are answers to that too... Sooner or later it all comes down to $Budget$ or $Time$, both are expensive.

Speaking of budget... My $0.02 are long gone already....

[img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
Dale
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2005, 07:27 AM

overkill front axle for that size tires. it will ALWAYs drag the pumpkin.
a dana 44 will live just fine with 35's.
yoru wasting your money on a super front axle with baby tires and using a peice of crap rear axle. a ford rear d60 like dodges is only 30 spline, thus making it the same diameter as a d44 shaft. 35 spline it, d70 or 14 bolt it if you want tires biger than 38's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2005, 07:50 AM
Keyboard Implanted

while they may be over kill for those size tires... i say put them under it anyways.. since you have the axles... and granted that rear 60 isnt much more than a dana 44... you can get the shafts all day long for cheap... and with those tires.. it'll be just fine... and you will have these axles under it if you ever decide to go with a bigger tire... something to think about.. what do you see yourself doing in the next 5 years... with this thing.. you are already upgrading from what you have.. so i take it you wheel this thing..... so sit back and think about it..
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2005, 10:07 AM
runnwild1

Originally I planned on going with 38 inch tires. without personal experience I got the impression that 38's and the necessary lift would make a serious rollover factor.
( Roy from Performance Off-Road - Alexandria, KY.)

I only want to do this once - that is why i'm asking for advice >>>Lockers, gearing, bearings, & labor is going to run around three grand....not counting rebuilding knuckles,
high steer arms, etc.

I know that going SOA will give me at least 5.5 inch lift.To go with 37 or 38's would demand how much additional lift? Will I need additional lift if I go with 36's.

This project is real. Thanks for any help.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2005, 03:43 PM

you sound inexperienced. start slow, and gradually build. also if you can't do it yourself, then dont do it.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2005, 03:43 PM

but if you decided to do it i got a hp d60 fornt up here for sale!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2005, 09:57 PM

If your going to run dana 60's I would atleast go to 38's. With 35's or 36's you wont be going anywhere. You will have about as much clearance with stock axles and stock tires. But yeah, go big if you go 60's. If you want to run 35-36's 44's are fine with the stock motor but not a 350. If your worried about the rollover factor, your already dong alot, and it wouldnt take much to extend your frame in the rear and stretch your wheelbase. With full widths and a stretched wheelbase, you will have to worry less. But if you wheel alot and wheel hard, its not if you rollover its when...........
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2005, 08:22 AM
Can't Get Enough

[ QUOTE ]
Originally I planned on going with 38 inch tires. without personal experience I got the impression that 38's and the necessary lift would make a serious rollover factor.
( Roy from Performance Off-Road - Alexandria, KY.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Lifting your jeep any height increases your risk of roll over. Always go out the same width as you go high.

As far as a lift, SOA and a sawzall does wonders.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2005, 09:00 AM
Keyboard Implanted

alright.. you said you had thought about 38's... so this means you want to get wheelin some narly stuff.... so on this note my first bit of advice will be to start thinking of another daily driver... leave the 60's full width.. go spring over.. cut the body till the tires stop rubbing.. gears.. id atleast run 4.56's... detriot the rear... and get a selectable locker for the front.. i know next to nothing about ox.. but arb's are good.. get a set of 37's street tires for your daily use... these will balance good.. and be lighter making driving it easier... it can be done...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode