Looking for a mig welder and mask. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2005, 11:34 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Looking for a mig welder and mask.

Hey guys,

I am looking into getting a mig welder. Thinking either a Miller or a Lincoln. I used one at the shop the other day, it was a lincoln powermig 200. Worked so awesome it wasn't even funny. Unfortunetly I can't afford a $1300 welder. So I am looking for a miller or lincoln that will work as well for casual to moderate use. Probably would be better off with something that is 220v. So any ideas and prices?

Also I used a jackson auto darkening mask. That worked awesome also. They have a journeyman for 135 or apprentace for $85. Should I spend the money or is there a generic one out there that will be just as good.

thanks

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2005, 12:04 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Looking for a mig welder and mask.

Hobart makes a good Mig in the Handler 275. It comes with a decent auto darkining helment...
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2005, 12:35 AM
Keyboard Implanted

well mike.. i know we all have budgets.. but a welder.. if you are any kind of do-it-yourselfer.... you should not cut corners.. i try to get things that will be around for 10 years... a welder.. will last you a lifetime... so try to see yourself with a kickass welder..and what you may be doing with one 10..20.. years from now... if you must wait a little longer to get a better one.. i would suggest that... we just got a miller 251.. and granted i dont see me welding an aircraft carrier together.. but i will never need another welder.. you can also hook a tig up to it... and i can hook my readywelder to it for a spool gun to do aluminum.. so this will be only purchased once..
as for the helmet.. my room mate got one off ebay for like $30... and it works great.. but i plan on getting a better one.. like the welder.. i plan on only buying one...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2005, 01:58 AM
Old Hand

The auto darkening hoods are great but if you are going to buy one, just ask yourself "what are your eyes worth?" Dont buy the cheap one. Especially if you plan on doing alot of constant welding. The inexpensive (cheap) ones have a slower reacion time.
Good luck on your purchase. Just like every one else says save to get the good stuff. I dont skimp on tools or equiptment. My $.02

Mike
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2005, 07:20 AM
Keyboard Implanted

I used a ReadyWelder this weekend...this may be one of the best starter welders on the planet...hooked up to 2 batteries it had good penetration, this one had a set up to add shealding gas, but we were using fluxcore wire...worked really well.

Might think about one of these...they can be found for less than $450 and you can carry one with you on the trail.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2005, 09:50 AM

I use the Ready Welder as my primary welder. You can use 3 batteries and you will get 3/4" penetration. The added benefit is that if you do not have 220V outlet this will work. I built a cart that would hold 3 batteries and a charger.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2005, 02:34 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Save up your money and get the miller 250 or i think the new number is what Pat said, 251. We have one at work and its a damn good welder. It will do anything from sheetmetal to 1/2 with out trying hard. Havent tried anything heavier then 1/2 cause we have a monster of a mig for the heavy stuff. Dont get anything less, cause one day you will want to weld something heavy and that cheapy welder you bought, wont handle it. The 250 is tig capable but only for steel it will not do aluminum.

Go with the jackson helmet. The one at work is older then his son and he just turned 16. It had a problem last year and they fixed it for free. Now thats standing behind your product. But the downfall is the really good ones sell at around 300.

[img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2005, 04:08 PM
SHINTON

[ QUOTE ]
I used a ReadyWelder this weekend...this may be one of the best starter welders on the planet...hooked up to 2 batteries it had good penetration, this one had a set up to add shealding gas, but we were using fluxcore wire...worked really well.

Might think about one of these...they can be found for less than $450 and you can carry one with you on the trail.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah but the owner of that RW is a total mall crusing poser!! [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Got to back this one up, that RW is my first ever welder and for the small amount of work I plan on doing it is perfect.

One of the main drawbacks is the lack of 'control' of the amount of "heat" from the gun, the two batteries were 'small' but they still burned pretty hot for 1/4", you will need to learn to adjust your speed instead of the 'power setting' to use the RW.

For me, it was the best of all worlds, I can do the stuff here at home AND take it on the trail....if I was going into biz I would buy a GOOD stay at home model...but for the occasional welder...go RW imho !

Sam Hinton
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2005, 07:11 PM

What would be the maximum and minimum thickness of material that you intend to weld? If you are going to do sheet metal work, you will want fine control at lower ranges, if you are welding thick stuff, you will need sufficient amperage. I just bought a Lincoln SP175T, and I'd say that it along with my stick welder can tackle just about anything I'd need to weld. Hobart and Miller have similar machines as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode