Bellhousing Crack...how bad is this??? 304-T18 WTB - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2005, 12:42 PM Thread Starter
Carpal \'Tunnel

Bellhousing Crack...how bad is this??? 304-T18 WTB

I know this belongs in the other thread, but I really need this thing and I know almost nobody reads through all those posts. So if I get in trouble for posting this here sorry, but I really need this darn part.

I was changing out motor mounts and forgot to unbolt the tranny mount and the bellhousing just snapped down the side with a nice wide crack. Its undrivable at this point so I need this bellhousing so I can get it fixed soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2005, 01:06 PM
Way Outta Control

Re: Needed - Bellhousing to mate 304 to T-18

Ok, if you have to change the bell housing anyway, would it be faster/less expensive to have the bell housing welded?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2005, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
Carpal \'Tunnel

Well this is the second time I've had a problem with this bellhousing. The first time the mounting hole for the mechanical clutch snapped off. I then had a hydraulic clutch put in and it was fine until today. It has a crack starting in the same spot of the old break. After further inspection though, the crack isn't all that huge....and only goes from the engine side of the bellhousing, to the hole where the old throwout arm would have gone through. So the crack is only a few inches long. Do you think welding that will be strong enough? And do you think that things will still be in proper alignment after the break?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2005, 02:04 PM

You can have it welded. It won't stretch because it's cast. I do them all the time for my tranny shop. You could even have someone beef up the weak areas if your worried about them.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2005, 02:23 PM
Way Outta Control

From your description the crack started at the old hydraulic mount. The mount fractured and broke. Then the crack was already started. It continued due to vibration and fatigue and stresses.

I'd sure have it welded up and that should be the end of the problem with an inexpensive fix.

If you're a little gun shy about the crack reappearing, this would still get the Jeep back on the road with an inexpensive fix. You could<ul type="square">[*]Take your time to find a replacement bell housing,[*]In your budget[/list]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2005, 02:34 PM Thread Starter
Carpal \'Tunnel

Well here's a picture of the crack. You can see it starts in that spot where the chunk is missing, which is where the old bracket mounted to. Do you think with that welded up that I'd be good to go? Do you think its drivable with the way it is now or would you say no way?
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2005, 02:51 PM
Way Outta Control

I'd pull and weld it up... it's only going to get worse and then let you down when you least need it ( at the point of most stress ). Do yourself a favor and fix it.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2005, 06:57 PM

Thats it Nick?? Just fix the darn thing. I put bells back together that were in 5 or 6 pieces. And something for you to keep in mind that if welded right, most tomes are stronger than the rest of it.

Thats closer to a scratch than a broken bell. [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2005, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
Carpal \'Tunnel

My other problem right now is that since I jacked the engine up by the oil pan the engine is sitting back a little and I can't seem to move it forward so that the mounts line up in the holes. I was stupid and unbolted both mounts so it was free to move after I heard the bellhousing crack. It looked worse initially when the tranny mount bolt was still in and the housing was being pulled apart. Now that the stress is off of it, it looks better. So I've gotta find a way to move the engine forward a little. I also dented the oil pan a little, and am not sure if that will cause any issues with oil flow. Any advice on that?
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2005, 08:08 PM

Yup......never, EVER, EVER , <font color="red"> EVER </font> jack a vehicle on the oil pan.

If it's dented much at all you need to pull it or your next post will be "engine knocking.....what would cause it?"

Having a bad day Nick? [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode