Fuel Cell Vent - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2005, 06:31 PM
Lucky Dog

Fuel Cell Vent

I'm currently making a fuel cell for my 2A that will sit in the bed. I just don't like sitting on that tank. Plus foot room will be nice. My question is, do I need to vent the tank? Otherwise I think you would creat a vacuum as the gas is consumed. However, the tank under the seat never had one. I plan on gravity feed just like the old tank.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2005, 07:58 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Fuel Cell Vent

Yes, summit ***edit***-sells-***edit*** fuel cell vents that have a check valve in them in case of a roll over.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2005, 12:15 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, summit makes fuel cell vents that have a check valve in them in case of a roll over.

[/ QUOTE ]

Summit likely doesn't make much of anything... but would be happy to sell you lots and lots of stuff.... no intent to detract from the Summit reputation, but no... they don't actually make that do they?

<u>Summit Racing - High Performance Car and Truck Parts</u>

And being a rocking chair drag racing fan....

<u>JEG'S High Performance - Car, Truck, Street, and Drag Racing Performance Parts</u>

OK.... just a [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/codger.gif[/img] ... [img]images/graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]

[img]images/graemlins/chairfall.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/chairfall.gif[/img]

[img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
Dale
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2005, 12:32 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[ QUOTE ]
I'm currently making a fuel cell for my 2A that will sit in the bed. I just don't like sitting on that tank. Plus foot room will be nice. My question is, do I need to vent the tank? Otherwise I think you would creat a vacuum as the gas is consumed. However, the tank under the seat never had one. I plan on gravity feed just like the old tank.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would you make a fuel cell?

It's not that fuel cells are cheap, but do you have that much extra time to reinvent the wheel (fuel cell)?

OK, you have the time... now tell me why you wouldn't just buy a fuel cell?

Sometimes I have trouble understanding things... Help me on that count.

[img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
Dale
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2005, 09:26 AM
Lucky Dog

You are correct, Summit does list them, as does a number of other sources. However no one makes the size I'm looking for. Besides, making one is a piece of cake. I'm not sure why everyone is so afraid of fabing their own.

I have the metal bent and tacked together. I'm using a YJ fuel neck to plum out the rear panel. This should keep the fumes at bay. My plans are to have it in the back and mount a rear seat over the top. No one will know it's there.

Also, why would it leak if you roll over if it is a sealed system?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2005, 10:20 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[ QUOTE ]
Also, why would it leak if you roll over if it is a sealed system?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know. I am also thinking about this, as I am in the process of building fuel cells (dual) and I don't want to buy the vents either. I don't think it would be a good idea to just put a hole in the top and run a hose somewhere. I mean, I wouldn't put a hole in the bottom of my cell and say "it's a sealed system" and hope it didnt' leak. And that's where I'd be if (when) I turn over.

The simple fact is a single vent will leak if rolled over and that's why people buy/make the check valves.

This guy made one:

Originally Posted by Blitzed
Or go and get some fittings a ball-bearing and put them together. Here is a pic of what I did, but in the pic I had yet to make the cuts in the barb to flare fitting. I just used the die grinder and cut into the flare part of the upper fitting in the pic, so when mounted the air could pass by the bearing but when rolled over the bearing rolled down to the pipe fitting sealing it off.

and this guy piped in a way that will minimize leakage

-edit-

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure why everyone is so afraid of fabing their own.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think anyone here is afraid, we all just thought you were. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2005, 01:17 PM
Way Outta Control

Ok... keep it simple. The OEM CJ 20 gal plastic tank has two valves on the top of the tank. These valves are open and vent the tank... unless there is a roll over and the vent closes.

I thought these valves were pretty scarce until I waked a wrecking yard and found the same valves on several different gas tanks scattered throughout the yard.

You may also want to look at marine and ATV fuel tank valves.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode