Tranny Shifting Problems - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2005, 08:50 PM Thread Starter

Tranny Shifting Problems

hey guys,

first off, sorry for the long post, but i'm trying to give you all the info i can.

having some serious problems with the transmission in my 88 YJ(damn Peogeot). anyway noticed over the last few days that shifting it seem a little bit harder than usual, but didn't think anything of it.

Then when i went to leave work today, it didn't hardly want to go into gear at all, which progessively became worse as a I drove. it got to the point where i had to reef on the shifter to try and get it into gear and "limp home". "Murphy's" final jab was it wouldn't shift into reverse to drive into my drive way. so i had to have the neighbour help me push it.

so needless to say i am really pissed right now!

my first couple thoughts are linkage/shifter may be loose. Or the slave cylinder may have gone tits up. or maybe the tranny finally went(would be a mixed blessing cause then I could have an excuse to swap in the AX-15).

i also thought that maybe the tranny fluid could be down, but i checked it about 1500 kms ago and it was fine and looked brand new. i also bleed the clutch at that time as well.

also when i was driving home, if i had the clutch in while waiting at a light(was a better option then letting it out and trying to get it back in gear when it changed green), it seem like it was slightly in gear. as to say the rpms dropped some and the jeep tried to move forward without giving it gas.

any ideas?

if you need anymore info let me know.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2005, 08:53 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Tranny Shifting Problems

It's hard for me to say with out driving it, but it could be your clutch going bad.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2005, 09:00 PM Thread Starter

well the clutch isn't slipping at all, but it does engage pretty low, thought this was normal for YJs.

also, when i try and put it in gear, it clunks quite a bit.

on a side note, i think the rubber mount for the tranny may be pretty much FUBAR as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2005, 09:05 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Try pumping the clutch...go to the floor 3 times in quick succession, then try to engage the shifter...if it goes in normal, then it's your clutch hydrolic cylinder.

Any strange noises?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2005, 09:06 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[ QUOTE ]
my first couple thoughts are linkage/shifter may be loose. Or the slave cylinder may have gone tits up.

[/ QUOTE ]

And the slave cylinder is OK?
See, I was thinking that the clutch wasn't disenguaging properly. If the clutch is working correctly, I would guess (***guess***) that the main bearing or input bearing is shot. But, you better wait for an answer from someone else that is more edumacated on the subject than me.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2005, 09:10 PM Thread Starter

once it's in gear the clutch disengages fine, even in first gear starting off. going through the other gears(upshifting at least) it went into gear pretty well. but downshifting(like into second) pretty much had to find that "sweet spot" by reving the engine and then shifting it as the RPM dropped. some of you may know what i mean, like when you shift a car and don't use the clutch, you just find that "sweet spot" in the RPM.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2005, 09:26 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[ QUOTE ]
once it's in gear the clutch disengages fine, even in first gear starting off. going through the other gears(upshifting at least) it went into gear pretty well. but downshifting(like into second) pretty much had to find that "sweet spot" by reving the engine and then shifting it as the RPM dropped. some of you may know what i mean, like when you shift a car and don't use the clutch, you just find that "sweet spot" in the RPM.

[/ QUOTE ]

That sounds like syncros.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2005, 09:40 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[ QUOTE ]
well the clutch isn't slipping at all, but it does engage pretty low, thought this was normal for YJs.

also, when i try and put it in gear, it clunks quite a bit.

on a side note, i think the rubber mount for the tranny may be pretty much FUBAR as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is a hydralic clutch that "engages pretty low" and "clunks" when you put it in gear.

Does it have any fluid in it?

Can you see the fluid running out on the ground when the clutch is depressed (might require the assistance of someone else's foot)?

[ QUOTE ]
going through the other gears(upshifting at least) it went into gear pretty well. but downshifting(like into second) pretty much had to find that "sweet spot" by reving the engine and then shifting it as the RPM dropped. some of you may know what i mean, like when you shift a car and don't use the clutch, you just find that "sweet spot" in the RPM.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]images/graemlins/applause.gif[/img] Answered your own question. The worn out mounts will drive you crazy in other ways.

Good catch there Aaron, made the right guess and tossed it back to the top. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
Dale
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2005, 09:42 PM Thread Starter

but would the syncros crap out in just one day, cause it was still shifting "ok" last night when i was driving. and it does it in every gear.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2005, 09:49 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That sounds like syncros.

[/ QUOTE ]

Go back to your original guess Aaron. [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
Dale
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode