Just got my jeep - some basic questions... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-23-2005, 11:05 AM
Steve L

Just got my jeep - some basic questions...

A while ago I posted here that I was going to be getting
a 1977 CJ-5, and wanted to introduce myself. I received a warm welcome and it looks like there are a lot of great people here willing to help others.

So anyway, I got the Jeep on Sunday and spent most of Monday just getting it running good. It needed a new lifter amoung other things.

Now I have some questions I need help with.

- This Jeep originally had a 6cyl and now it has a 304 V8. The tach reads 8/6'ths high and I was wondering if there is a way to fix this short of buying a replacement tach?

- The backup lights don't work. It's a 3-speed manual. Any idea where I'll find the switch to start my debug?

- My CJ has a plexiglass or lexan windshield. Is that a common aftermarket part? I guessing its probably not street legal. Do you know who sells glass ones?

That will at least get me started.......thanks in advance for your help.

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-23-2005, 11:16 AM
hecubus

Re: Just got my jeep - some basic questions...

(assuming you've checked all the fuses, bulbs etc...)there should be a switch looking thing on the trans somewhere (try taking the plate around the shifters off & poking around) when you find the plug pull the wires off & with the ignition on check for +-12 volts with a multimeter, if there is voltahe try shorting the plug (the lights should come on then) if they do come on your switch is bad on the trans if not you have a wiring problem
(I'm in the middle of that same issue myself)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-23-2005, 02:42 PM
Pooh-Bah

I wouldn't worry too much about the windsheild unless you have a hardtop and locking doors. The DOT legality issue is due to not being able to break the windsheild to remove you from a wrecked vehicle. With a soft top and doors, you can be removed from many different angles. [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
As for the tach, maybe you can find one from a V8 cj?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-23-2005, 03:18 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

Lexan or plexi can really shatter depending on thickness if you get into an accident, where the auto safety glass will shatter but remain intact. I'd get a real glass windshield put in. Plus you can't clean oil and other stuff off plexi or lexan easily or at all like you can on glass. Any auto glass shop should be able to replace your windshield easily. As for the backup lights, there's a switch on the top of the tranny with two plugs coming out. You should then have two wires that plug into there.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-23-2005, 03:25 PM
Keyboard Implanted

aboutthe tach....is if a factory tach? or an aftermarket.....

most aftermarkets can be adjusted to match the engine size between 4-6-8....

if its a factory one i dont know...my CJ didnt have a factory tach....come to think of it....i dont even know if whether or not they had a tach from factory that year??...im sure someone will know though
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-23-2005, 03:42 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[ QUOTE ]
- This Jeep originally had a 6cyl and now it has a 304 V8. The tach reads 8/6'ths high and I was wondering if there is a way to fix this short of buying a replacement tach?

[/ QUOTE ]

The factory tachs from the 70's/80's were made for 6 or 8 cylinders and have no switch to change them. Sorry if it's a factory tach you will need to replace it.

[ QUOTE ]
- The backup lights don't work. It's a 3-speed manual. Any idea where I'll find the switch to start my debug?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ground is supplied at the bulb. As mentioned +12 goes through a switch on the transmission. Look for the harness the runs down on the passenger side and splits to the transmission and transfercase (4WD light). You will find a connector somewhere between the motor and battery (or a bit lower).

[ QUOTE ]
- My CJ has a plexiglass or lexan windshield. Is that a common aftermarket part? I guessing its probably not street legal. Do you know who sells glass ones?

[/ QUOTE ]

Bet you are right.... probably not street legal. Being flat glass about any auto glass place can make one and the rubber seal can be ordered from 4wd.com or quadratec.com if you want to install it yourself.

[img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
Dale
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-23-2005, 04:25 PM
Steve L

Thanks for the quick responses guys.

Looks like I can get a new windshield installed for about $140. I can't see keeping the lexan one with the amount of
rain and snow and dirt on the roads we have around here.

The tach is definitely an original, I took it out and there
are no settings for # of cyls. Time to buy another and e-bay
this one I guess.....or just live with the difference.

I'll start on the wiring stuff soon.....lots of little elec problems on this one.

Thanks again everyone!

Steve
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-23-2005, 04:38 PM

Welcome aboard! Nice to have another CJ in the bunch.

The 304 doesn't really NEED a tach. If you ignore it comletely and drive it by ear as if it were a truck engine it will do fine. But I can readily understand wanting to have it right.

Keep a close ear on that lifter. Cam lobes and lifters wear in to each other, and very often won't accept a replacement. If it starts to clatter or the cylinder loses power, bite the bullet and replace the cam and all lifters before additional damage is done.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-23-2005, 04:39 PM
Ru Stuck

I worked installing windshields on cars for a short Time I had jeep with a broken one and I cut some laminated glass to fit in mine. It was half the cost and if it breaks there is bascially an layer in the middle that holds the glass together when it breaks..
I have put this type of glass in Hot Rods and chopped cars..
with the right glass shop they can fix you up.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-23-2005, 05:47 PM
Can't Get Enough

Since you have a 3-speed manual, the switch should be right on top of the tranny, a couple of inches behind the shifter. If you remove the access plate on the floor board it should be right there. As far as the windshield goes, call everyone in the phone book, when I replaced mine, I had quotes ranging from 300.oo installed plus the gasket to 75.00 including the gasket. It definitly pays to shop around. In my case I even got multiple prices from different people at the same shop....varying by 100.00. Good luck and welcome to the board.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode