Yoke angles - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-01-1999, 11:01 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yoke angles

What percentage plus or minus can the yokes be off in degrees from papallel. I just measured mine with an angle finder and found the rear axle(Dana 44) yoke titled up 12 deg differance from the t-case (Dana 20) yoke. I am thinking of installing degree wedges under the axle pads but the largest I have found are 8 deg, this would still leave 4 deg differance. I have lowered the t-case approx 3/4" and don't want to go any lower than that. I live in a small town without the luxury of a axle shop and the welder here, well lets say I don't want him touching my suspension.
WSM

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-01-1999, 11:08 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Yoke angles

A good rule is that the angles be within 3 degrees. Also follow the equal but opposite method (non CV). If you are running a CV point the yoke until its center line matches that of the driveshaft then tilt down 2 degrees for pinion climb. If you think you need a shim with more than four degrees, I would relocate the spring pads.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-02-1999, 12:47 AM
utahjeepr

Technically U-joint angles should be within 1*of each other to avoid vibration and for maximum U-joint life the constant angle of each joint should be between 3* and 7*. The real world often dictates otherwise, but still 2* from each other and 15* constant angle each is about as far as you want to go with a standard shaft. In your case, I'm surprised that with a difference of 12* you aren't experiencing driveline vibration. How did you get such a drastic angle? Are you running REALLY long shackles? You really should relocate the brackets if you can't get the pinion angle more in line. Might be time to consider a CV shaft as well.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-02-1999, 10:00 AM
Official Historian

what's the rule for compound angles?

post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-02-1999, 10:10 AM

What're you running suspension-wise? Sounds like you're in CV-joint driveshaft territory.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-02-1999, 11:08 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey Tom, how does a "utahjeepr" end up in Southern California?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode