fusible link substitute? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-24-2005, 06:08 AM
ramekr

fusible link substitute?

can blown fusible links be repaired with modern in line fuses(blade type)?if it is , is there a conversion for wire guage vs fuse amp? 30 Ga. fusible link could be replaced with a 30 amp fuse?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-24-2005, 06:45 AM
NIX
Keyboard Implanted

Re: fusible link substitute?

more likely a 130 amp fuse, as that's the output of the alternator, assuming you're talking about the FL between the starter relay and alternator. Some over here only believe in FL, some use marine fuses.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-24-2005, 07:17 AM

It has been said here that a fusible link is more reliable, has less resistance, and doesn't deteriorate with use and time the way a fuse will.

I don't recall who has said that, so I can't say that I'm confident that it's so, or that a fuse still isn't better because it can be more easily diagnosed and replaced.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2006, 08:02 PM

I was driving down a favorite back road the other day when I hit a bump and the Jeep went dead - just like someone had switched off the key. No love from the starter, gauges, nothin'... just like the ignition switch vaporized or something.

Fuses? Good.
Battery voltage? Check.
Jump the starter solenoid? Engine cranks.
Replace ignition switch? Still no love.

After tearing the whole thing apart looking for a short or disconnect, I eventually stumbled across a tiny section of wire right off the starter solenoid that looked just fine but was stretchy and soft. Even the dumb knuckle-dragger in me knew that wasn't right.

So after reading a bit in the Haynes, I realized that I have a fusible link that has given up the ghost. The problem is that it is Light Green, which Haynes tells me is 30 ga.

I cannot find a 30 ga fusible link ANYWHERE. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] The only ones I have found are 14, 16, 18 gauge, or have an amperage rating (different style that looks more like an inline plug).

I'm not really inclined to replace a 30 gauge fusible link with a 130 amp inline fuse - that sounds an awful lot like asking for trouble (as in BURNT JEEP) to me. Can anyone either point me to a source for the 30 gauge fusible link or cross-reference for what to use in its place?

Thanks,
Darren
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2006, 10:30 PM
Way Outta Control

I don't like replacing fusible links with breakers. Breakers have a much shorter life cycle. They'll die sooner. Replace the link with another fusible link, or do the cheap thing and take a piece of wire the same size as the link wire and shave it down to 1/3 the diameter of the link wire. Then install solder it in, and cover it with heat shrink. This wire will duplicate the fusible link.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2006, 03:40 AM

A 30 Ga. fusible link would be TINY!
The larger the number, the smaller the wire!

Go to any of the discount auto parts stores.
Get a fusible link (or Fuse Wire if you prefer)...
TWO WIRE GAUGE SIZES SMALLER THAN THE WIRE YOU ARE ATTACHING IT TO.

For instance...
10 Ga. wire, 12 Ga. Fusible link.
12 Ga. wire, 14 Ga. Fusible link.

Don't forget the crimp connectors, Silver bearing solder (if you use solder)
And the heat shrink tubing to seal up the crimp connectors.

Crimp, Mechanical Connection.
Solder, Electrical Connection.
Heat Shrink, Environment Protection/ Corrosion Resistance.

If you don't want to screw with a soldering iron, those little 'Jet Torch' cigarette lighters make good improvised soldering torches.

DON'T TRY TO SHRINK THE TUBING WITH ONE OF THOSE JET TORCH LIGHTERS! (I found this out the hard way! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] )
You will ruin the tubing, probably making it catch fire or turning it into charred carbon waste...
Get the stuff in place, use a hair dryer or cigarette or regular lighter flame to shrink the tubing.

--------------------------

LEVE, breakers have their place, like on my electric air compressor, or on any components that are going to be under water!
My ignition threw the braker when it got so much mud on the terminals it shorted out...
As soon as underhood heat dried the mud, the stupid thing started working again![img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

I like breakers on lights.
Lights on long enough to trip the braker again is better than no light at all!
I hate being in the dark with blown fuses! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2006, 10:21 PM

Okay - here's where I fess up to being a DORK...

AFTER I went in and cut the dead link out, I looked at the source wire an immediately realized I was not dealing with small gauge - prolly more like 12 or maybe even 10. Put the strippers on it and sure enough... 12 gauge. The Haynes was wrong. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] (Shocked! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] Shocked, I tell you!)

So BACK to the store I go with not a minute to spare to pick up a 14 gauge fusible link - of which they had PLENTY. Crimp it in, cover it up, bolt up the solenoid and battery, and BINGO - fires right up.

Now all I have to do is put the whole durn DASH back together from tearing it all down looking for a short! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

doh!

Thanks for the advice jes the same! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] At least this one's solved!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2006, 11:10 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Glad you got the problem fixed.....

FYI....the main reason for a fusable link is because it has a much longer 'over current' time than circuit breakers or fuses....about the longest CB for a car that you will find has a trip time of about 1 sec at 125%...and the time goes down as the load goes up.....while a fusable link is several seconds at 150%...basically, they can handle the rigors of autos better....if you have a real dead short, they do their job quite nicely.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2006, 12:17 AM

GOOD ATTITUDE!
If you can still call your self a 'Dork', then you are still willing to learn something, and learn you will!

You are no 'Dork', you are a Jeep owner, and we can only aspire to become 'Dorks' some day!---
----

Seriously, you are going to get a crash course in 50's technology 'cause that's what AMC used on the jeep! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Glad we could help, and don't hesitate to ask if something else comes up!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode