Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-23-2005, 02:32 PM Thread Starter
Journeyman

the Projekt has Begun !!

Hurray my projekt has begun !!!!

This Weekend my jeep turned from somthing drivable with rust. to
a frame and a pile of parts.

yesterday where the frame was on axels,with the engine mounted. it looked like a doable projekt.
but Today with just a bare frame , broken bolts and rust
it feels like i am in over my head.

the frame was in pretty good shape exept from some broken ībolts and some rust in the rear of the frame.

my plan is , to bring the frame and axels to work, get them sandblasted, paint axels and springs, bring frame back to garage and fix rust, holes and broken bolts.
then back to work and antirustprimer then blacktopcoat.

i will then start putting the axels on again and end up with a drivable frame.

then the rebuilding of the Chassis begins it will need replacement panels all over the bottom and needs to be sandblasted and have a new paint job.

i just hope that it doesent take too long to get it back on the road, i will not be modyfying alot, just lifting the dana 300 up and adding a roolbar.

i am looking forward to drive a restored jeep instead of driving somthing that would have fallen apart in 5 years.

i hope that all of you that have done frameup restos will , post help and ideas , an i promise that i will post pictures of the progress.

Maddanecj7
My jeep is just a big pile of parts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-23-2005, 02:44 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: the Projekt has Begun !!

Stay focused,,,I remember the feeling of Uh oh what have I done... But after the years I don't think to much of tearing into anything... Just ask Yjguy!!!!

Stick with it your already done with the hardest part physicaly now it is just a matter of time and money..
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-23-2005, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
Journeyman

thanks Rio

this week i will sandblast all brackets and small parts and repaint them so they will be ready for reassembly, just so i will get the feeling of rebuilding.

MaddaneCJ7
Mu jeep is just a pile of parts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-23-2005, 06:01 PM

My suggestion is that you get a couple boxes of Zip-Loc - style sandwich bags. They are the kind that you pinch the top together and they seal. Here I got some no-name bags for about 3 cents each. That's equivilent to about 15 for the price of a can of Coke.

I put each set of bolts and nuts into a baggie and labeled it with a felt tip pen, and then tossed them into a bucket. When I was ready to put it back together I opened the bags one at a time and put the function and specs into a spreadsheet. Then I sorted the spreadsheet by specs and took it to a fastener house to get all new bolts and nuts.

As I was putting things back together I could look at the same spreadsheet, now sorted by applicaton, and see what fasteners I needed for each part. Then I went to the bags of fasteners I had gotten and picked what I was going to need.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-23-2005, 09:22 PM
chefjeep

Yup, I know how you feel. Last summer it was an xj for my wife, this winter it is an 88 yj. Mine is sitting in the shop bare frame. I've replaced crossmembers and a guy is coming over thursday to give me a quote on sandblast and epoxy prime. I plan on using the durabek product to protect the frame. Mine will be a bit more involved as I plan for a spring over, ford 8.8 rear and a dana 44 front. The 4.2 is going to be mated with a 4.0 I have in the shop for a 4.7 or so, tranny is yet to be decided, have a ax15 and a tf999. Lots to do but I'm in no hurry. I'd like to finish with a more capable than new yj that will do me 10 years (thats what I'm telling the wife) but I know there will be another project soon after. Nothing better than driving or looking at something you did.

You'll be able to look at others and think hmmm, you bought that eh.?

Later
Kevin
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-24-2005, 12:07 AM
DiverDuane

Please post some pictures of your teardown, repair and buildup processes

DiverDuane
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-25-2005, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
Journeyman

Update.
I have taken some pictures of the teardown that i will post asap.
friday the frame and axels will be sandblasted and painted.
and before we can start buildup i need to order a bushingkit and stainlessboltkit, and some TJ fenderflares.
and not to forget a dana 300 rotation ring, to tuck that belly up, where it belongs.

i am so happy to get work done so when spring comes i can bring my 3 year old boy with me on his first offroad trip in OUR jeep.

Maddanecj7
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-01-2005, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
Journeyman

Re:the Projekt has Begun !!UPDATE

Hi all
now the small parts has been sandblasted together with the frame.
parts of the frame was rusted thru, but i am still impressed that a 25 year old jeep driving in salty conditions look like this.

now the frame will be welded op with attachment points for the rollbar and then painted.
i will try to post pictures now.

hmm it dident work ( i will now read posts on that)

be back soon

Maddanecj7

post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-02-2005, 07:17 AM

Re:the Projekt has Begun !!UPDATE

Have you used a dental mirror to look inside the frame tubes for rust the sandblaster missed?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode