SRS question... I am now confused. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-22-2005, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

SRS question... I am now confused.

So talking with a guy the other day and he says he builds his own SRS and it gives 1/2 to 1 inch lift. After re-reading some posts and some new posts on another board, I got myself confused. So is an SR ONLY for the FRONT springs and if so how is the back compensated for lift? I want to do the SR but had never really considered the front being lifted without the back. And how can you not know how much lift is going to be produced if you build your own and have done it before? Reason I ask is I wanted to run 5/8 booms out back and stock length shacks up front to create a little rake or at least save myself from the saggy butt I see on most lifted Jeeps. Is this still going to work with an SRS? Sorry so long but I need to get straightened out on this as I am thinking about it too much now. TIA!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-22-2005, 06:27 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

Re: SRS question... I am now confused.

A shackle reversal moves the front shackles to the rear of the spring. I'm sure you already knew that but I figured I'd say to clear things up maybe. Its not needed on the rear axle because the shackles are already in the rear of the spring. Lift from SR varies due to how sagged your springs are, how heavy your front end is, how long your shackles are, etc. If your front end was way above your rear you could put some longer shackles in the rear to compensate if its not too far off. Generally I'd say that an inch front to rear is hardly noticable on CJ's. I'm sure you've done plenty of research into the effects of the SR and one day I look forward to doing it myself to make my CJ-5 more streetable.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-22-2005, 06:42 PM
Official Historian

It will be easy to figure out the change of height. Measure how much difference there is between the stock and new mounting locations of the springs. If the front gets moved an inch closer to the frame and the rear gets moved an inch farther from the frame, then you will not get any lift as one example.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-23-2005, 06:33 AM
Keyboard Implanted

exactly... it depends on your mounting points.. the front shackle should be about 5" below the frame... so you then mount your hard mounting point the same distance... here is a shot of mine... after looking at how much hung down in front.. i decided to remove some lift.. and i made the mounting point closer to the frame... now this was no biggy for me.. since i was building the jeep at the time.. so i could set the axle up to it.. set the rear up to it.. and what not..
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-23-2005, 08:46 AM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Thanks guys, that's how I thought it worked out but after reading too much on the subject got confused. So then after you do your SRS what do you do to compensate for the rear. Most of the aftermarket systems I see give 2" lift, I can't imagine people are riding around 2" higher in the front than the rear.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-24-2005, 09:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So then after you do your SRS what do you do to compensate for the rear. Most of the aftermarket systems I see give 2" lift, I can't imagine people are riding around 2" higher in the front than the rear.

[/ QUOTE ]

Blocks or springs its your choice. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode