Why to carry a fire ext in your rig!!!!!! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-22-2005, 10:13 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Why to carry a fire ext in your rig!!!!!!

This is the first winter in a few years i kept the jeep out of the shop, so i could play in the snow some. I went out to start her, to make sure she would start, she fires up and i let it sit and idle to get some heat inside cause its 20 degrees outside. I was covering the quad up so i wouldnt have to sit on 10 inches of snow, when it finally stops snowing sometime tonight. I looked over and there was fire on the ground under the jeep. I figured it was just a few leaves that blew up on the exhuast. I walked over to step on the leaves and relized the undercoat of the jeep is burning. I ran around to the drivers side, grabbed the extinguisher, shut the jeep off, and ran back around to put the fire out. Got it out and saw all kinds of smoke inside the jeep, opened the passenger door and saw the paint on the floor buring. Then wasted the rest of the extinguisher on the floor. If i had to run back to the house to get the extinguisher from the house, there probably would have been some serious damage. After i started looking at things i noticed the seat had started to turn black on the back of the seat. So that wasnt far from flames there.

What happened was the muffler had turned red hot. Not sure why yet but solid red hot. I'm going to blame it on the vacume advance not working, right now. I dont think the exhaust was plugged with a nest or anything else. Seemed to sound the same when it started and didnt act funny or anything else. The cat didnt get red hot, just the muffler.

So i almost could have lost my CJ today. That would have really pissed me off. So now i wont be playing in the snow, put at least i can tow the cj to my shop next week and figure out what the hell went wrong.

I'll will also be adding a second extinguisher to the passenger side. Always wanted to do it, just never did.

Just had to vent alittle.

[img]images/graemlins/wall.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/wall.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/wall.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-22-2005, 10:40 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Re: Why to carry a fire ext in your rig!!!!!!

Wow, Jim.
I'm glad you caught it in time.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-22-2005, 10:58 AM
Can't Get Enough

Jim,

Glad to hear your CJ escaped probable destruction thanks to your foresight of having the fire ext'er handy. Good for you. 2x extinguishers sounds like a good idea... 'specially if they are the smaller ones.

Godspeed in finding the cause... Pls let us know what you find so that we can be alert to the same potential....

FWIW, ya might consider dropping a little something extra in the plate tomorrow morning as an 'offering of thanks' for His 'protective hand'.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-22-2005, 11:01 AM
Can't Get Enough

Good thing you caught it in time.
This may also be a good time to remind everyone of the importance of taking the fire extinguisher out of the jeep several times a year and making sure that the powder hasn't solidified in it. This occurs because the constant vibration of the jeep tends to pack the powder into a lump in the bottom making it useless. I take mine out 3-4 times a year and kinda whack on it with a rubber mallet and then shake the crap outta it. Nothing worse than a fire and an extinguisher that blows nothing but air. As cheap as extinguishers are, I'd consider replacing it if there is any question at all about it's functionality.

*Climbs off my soapbox and walks back in the house*
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-22-2005, 12:32 PM

Glad you caught it Jim. Wayyyyyy to nice of a CJ to lose. I keep 2 extinguishers in mine already and have been thinking about where I could keep a third.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-22-2005, 02:00 PM
Enthusiast

I had an engine fire once, and was VERY glad I had the extinguisher. I'm very much on the extinguisher bandwagon.

I'm glad you caught it.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-22-2005, 03:55 PM
Addict

YIKES! Happy to hear you didn't lose the whole rig. Keep us posted on what caused the muffler to heat up so mcuh.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-22-2005, 05:19 PM
John-Boy

I agree with Ecamp55 I have been a fireman for over 15 years now and we take our extinuishers off the truck and hit the bottom of them 2 or 3 times with a rubber mallet EVERY WEEK

Just food for thought
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-22-2005, 05:42 PM
Official Historian

Here is a friend's jeep that unfortunately, did not have a fire extinguisher. The back half will be a good size trailer for my CJ though.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1380678-HPIM0811rs.JPG (51.7 KB, 44 views)
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-22-2005, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Well as the day went on and after i plowed the 9in of snow out of the driveway. I checked out the damaged real good and nothing really major. Floor will need some paint, seat is ok, probably was just the soot from the paint burning. Some paint and maybe some fresh undercoat on the bottom of the floor. Then most likely throw away my 8 month old cat and muffler. As hot as the muffler was, im sure the cat had to loose its guts and is now in the muffler. But i will know more next week once its on the lift at my shop.

I went and sucked up the vacume advance and it only moved a tiny bit and i couldnt move it by hand. So it may be that the timing was so far retarded, so that is where i will look first.

At least my jeep is still here and will still be at the bash in May. Now i just have to figure out how to clean all the extinguisher dust out from the inside. I may just take the top down and when i tow it, hopefully it all blows out.

[img]images/graemlins/wall.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/wall.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/wall.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode