Why to carry a fire ext in your rig!!!!!! - Page 2 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of (permalink) Old 01-23-2005, 06:29 AM

Re: Why to carry a fire ext in your rig!!!!!!

Glad you caught the fire in time. I'm gonna run out and buy two more extingishers today. My old one is a couple years old.

If your suckig on the vacuum advance with your lip your not going to get much vacuum to pull it in. You should use a hand pump on it.

Also if the vacuum advance not working, it will never retard the engine past your initial timing setting. The only thing that can do that is some external delay from the computer if you have one attached. If you have no external electronic delay then timing isn't a problem. If it was retarded then it would cause incomplete burning of the gas allowing gas to flow out the exhaust.I would figure the exhaust manifolds to bet red hot or the catalytic converter to get real hot before the muffler will.

ALhtough I would have to say I have never seen a red hot muffler except on my formula car were the muffler is attached right to the headers. THat was because a spark plug wire shorted to the header and killed 1 cylinder. But I notice a problem with that engine right away.

What ever you do I would not put a new vacuum advance on and drive it asssuming that fixed your problem or you might just be emptying out two more fire extingishers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of (permalink) Old 01-23-2005, 06:46 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

When i sucked on the advance it hardly moved and when it did move it was jerky and stiff. Once i get it to my shop i will be able to pull on it with my mighty vac. Just cant get to my trailer with 10 in of snow on the ground. And its cold as hell out and still snowing. So im waiting till tuesday for a friend to get off of police tow, so i can use his wrecker.

My feeling is the cat probably did get red hot and dumped all its guts into the muffler. It had to, ive never seen a muffler get red hot, with out the cat being red hot and my muffler is right behind the cat. I forget what the intial timing is, but i will check it this week. That is/was just my first feeling, cause i really cant think of what else would cause it.

Ill take all ideas of what would cause that. I'm going to start another post about just that. Thanks.

Time to start plowing snow. And maybe make some money to fix the old girl.

[img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
post #13 of (permalink) Old 01-24-2005, 07:18 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Ya man, OBF, On Board Fire.... Had one too. mine was a brake fluid soaked rag that was left under the hood and had fallen on the header. Glad I had my Ext. too. now, just remember, go get it recharged/replaced!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode