Quadra-trac - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 03:11 PM
John-Boy

Quadra-trac

I am new to owning a jeep and am looking for information on a quadratrac transfer. I cannot seem to get this one to work properly and don't have any experience working on one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 03:41 PM

Re: Quadra-trac

Welcome.

There are several good resources on the Q-Trac
Including this BBS.

Depends on what the problem and what you are able to do as to where to point you.

Do you need a parts diagram or trouble shooting tips, or ??

Give us a little more info if you can.

Does it do nothing at all, or have a noisey chain, or the emergency drive not lock or or or ?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 08:27 PM
Official Historian

Yeah, ask away. I am working on adapting a 700r4 to my quadratrac. Should drop parts off at the machine shop monday.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 08:52 PM
John-Boy

The jeep has a 304 in it. Runs great! Especially for $700.00 I turned the emergency lock vacuum dial and can hear it "hiss", I traced all the lines and they all seem to be ok. I even got under it and I have a vacuum valve on the transfer case. I am thinking that it is that valve that is not working right but I am not sure. Like I said before I don't know how it is supposed to work. Thanks for any advise that you may offer.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 09:24 PM
Official Historian

The quadratrac is a full time transfer case. It has a differential in it to allow the front and rear driveshafts to turn at different rates when turning corners. The vacuum shifter just locks this differential so the front and rear shafts can't turn at different rates. If your limited slip in the transfer case is worn, here is a way to check the vacuum shifter. Block the wheels. Jack up one tire. Shift the transfer case to neutral if it has the optional low range. If not, shift the transmission to neutral. When the vacuum shifter is in the green, you might be able to spin the wheel in the air. When the shifter is in the red, you should not be able to spin the wheel in the air.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2005, 09:37 AM

If you can hear the hiss - the vacuum switch in the dash is probably bad.

This is pretty common I have even been through a few new ones that were bad. The valve is metal to metal and no good reason they should NOT leak. Poor design IMHO.
[img]images/graemlins/lame.jpg[/img]

Try jumping it with a piece of tube or vacuum "T".
See if it will engage or turn on the "Emergency Drive" light on the dash. You may have to move the jeep a few feet to get it to engage. And / or shift it in and out of neutral.

I have thought about boring the valve to accomodate an o-ring.

The other thing that goes bad is the daiphram shifter in the T/C.
Have replaced a few of those. They are still available from Jeep dealers (among other places).
This can be replaced w/o removing the T/C.

There is a page out there somewhere (maybe on IFSJ.org) that has a write up on converting the whole vacuum business over to air shift. Something I have considered.
Will see if I can find it again and post the link.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2005, 02:37 PM
John-Boy

Thanks for all the help. The weather here is great so I think that I will go work on it and let you know how it goes. After reading the comments I think that I have a bad diaphram on the T/C. Maybe it will fix my problems.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2005, 02:52 PM

Watch out for the "E"-clip and the checkball.

You may want to drain the T/C before you attempt to change the shift diaphram. (Save and strain the fluid or be prepared to replace it with the correct fluid DO NOT use regular ATF)
My personal record for having to fish that !#@%&* checkball out of the T/C is 27 times for one job.

The good news is it will "usually" fall to the bottom of the case and you can get it with a magnet through the drain plug hole.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2005, 08:58 PM
John-Boy

Thanks for the advise
I got out and played with it this afternoon. When I by-passed the emergency switch the front axle began to turn (it wasn't before)so maybe there is hope after all, although it didn't "seem" like it was in four wheel drive. I would really like to get rid of this thing and just put a regular transfer case in it (like a dana300 or so) but it is too expensive. I am going to ramble through the junk yards tomorrow to see what I might come up with.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2005, 09:03 PM
John-Boy

Off subject question
Why do I come up as a stranger and how do I get a picture of my cj below my name like the rest of you?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode