would you give your daughter a jeep? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
Addict

would you give your daughter a jeep?

im looking for general opinions, then ill post the story later.

would you give a new driver, young female or male really, a SWB jeep, be it cj, yj, tj?

think in terms of safety, driving skill/experience, etc.
i know this board has users from many different backgrounds, professions, ages, viewpoints. i want to hear some.

thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 02:58 PM

Re: would you give your daughter a jeep?

I wouldn't give anyone mine to drive unless they were a very experienced driver. I drive mine with caution in mind owing to the handling characteristics of a lifted old cj. A new jeep I would definately let my daughter drive. I'm assuming they have much better handling and I see young drivers in them all the time.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 03:24 PM
Can't Get Enough

I'd let her drive an unmolested TJ. I think they've come a long way in "Naterizing" them since the days of the early CJ's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 03:31 PM
Way Outta Control

No... never...

I would never give a Jeep to one of my Kids...

Read my JeepCreep Column for details at:

http://www.off-road.com/jeep/questions/2004_04/
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 03:47 PM

I wouldn't give my kids my CJ untill they had a little more experiance.

Maybe my wifes KJ would be OK but I'd find them a beater F-250. [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 04:03 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I'm with John, give them a big beater. and then work your way down in size. It's safer and if it's a beater, who cares if it gets damaged.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
Addict

LEVE, your column pretty much hit my points.

heres my story:

Background: Raleigh got an inch or so of snow and ice yesterday. City was unprepared, gridlock and over 300 collisions ensued.

I crested a hill going for a freeway entrance ramp in my little civic. 50 yards ahead I see a tj fishtail, brake lights come on, it keeps spinning, and comes to a halt against the curb. I hit the brakes, realize I am on ice, ABS comes on, my brakes go away. Try to steer, nothing. Im headed straight for her. I cross my fingers and hope for the best. My left front bumper hits the tj’s right rear tire, and I slide in next to it resting on the curb.

A girl gets out, I ask if she is ok, dazedly she says yes.

I ask her to exchange info so we can get out of the way of traffic. She starts crying about daddy or something. Fine, I expected her to be shook up, I try to be understanding and explain we need to get out of traffic before more people slide into us. She refuses and demands that we wait for an officer to arrive. 911 says they have a 3-4 HOUR backlog, and it is about 20 degrees out. She goes from bad to worse, hysterically crying and screaming that she will not move her vehicle, while at least 4 vehicles narrowly avoid hitting us.

Finally an officer arrives and does the report as fast as possible to move us out of the way. He asks her if the vehicle is 4wd, and she says “im not sure” finally they get it moving and on her way. At which point he turns to me (off the record) and says “that’s the problem, she doesn’t know how to drive”

According to her info, she is 20, so a relatively new driver. Most vehicles are fwd these days, few still know how to properly drive a rwd, or drive out of loss of traction. And it appears no one told her to use 4wd in inclement weather. Thoughts just kept racing through my head, “who gave this little unprepared girl this vehicle, and will they realize what they’ve done and what could have happened.”

Jeeps come with plenty of warnings these days, I hate to say it, but should some sort of driving school be mandatory? In drivers ed they go over fishtailing and snow/ice driving, but unless you use it it goes in one ear and out the other.

This whole incident makes me afraid for all the teenagers and their families who buy wranglers because they are “cute” or “convertible”
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 04:55 PM
Can't Get Enough

Well, I had a CJ-5 when I was 15, so why not give one to my daughter (stepdaughter).. She is respectful and drives very well...Well almost.. She did run into someone just before Thanksgiving.. But, I was glad she was in her jeep..There was only scratches on the front bumper (Warn), and the car she hit was pretty bad off...Thankfully, no one was hurt, and she is now a much better driver for that. [img]images/graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]
Here's a few pics of her TJ..

The newer jeeps (TJ's) are much safer than the earlier jeeps, and I feel that she is capable of driving in a defensive manner.
I also look at it this way, there aren't many white TJ's on 35's around here, and people will tell me if she acts up while driving.
She gets lots of compliments, and that may help her self esteem too.. Jury's still out on this issue though..
Also... The guys that she chooses as friends, aren't the lowrider type, or the boom boom type. We all know this is a delicate issue for daughters, so it helps some. [img]images/graemlins/codger.gif[/img]
You just can't have a jeep, then deny your children of the stuff that bonds you...
Ricky...seeya...
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 06:23 PM

well I learned to drive in Jeep...at age 8 my parents took us up to pismo every spring (we had 3-wheelers & a 4-wheeler) I remember sitting on dad's lap learning to steer in the sand & he taught me to shift before I could reach the pedals. When I got my learners permit I was already more experienced in driving than anyone in my drivers ed class.

Growing up in Utah and having a November birthday, I learned to drive in the snow....on top of all that, my father would not let me get a license until I could do some basic mechanics....and on the side of the road. I also had extra homework. I had to take my (then) mom's Jeep (now MY CJ-7) to the church parking lot after every snow & practice stopping, steering & of course a few doughnuts....with dad. By the time I got my drivers license I was well versed in the behavior of the Jeep....

I would say that anyone with less of a Jeep education should not be driving one in traffic...especially if you live in a snowy climate.

Just my 2 cents.

Happy Jeeping [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Morgan
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 06:42 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[ QUOTE ]
Growing up in Utah and having a November birthday, I learned to drive in the snow....on top of all that, my father would not let me get a license until I could do some basic mechanics....and on the side of the road. I also had extra homework. I had to take my (then) mom's Jeep (now MY CJ-7) to the church parking lot after every snow & practice stopping, steering & of course a few doughnuts....with dad. By the time I got my drivers license I was well versed in the behavior of the Jeep....

[/ QUOTE ]

You have a great Dad.

As for "giving" your child a Jeep, NO I wouldn't. But if that is what they choose to buy (with or without your help), just be sure that you did your part when they were learning to drive. SWB = Danger !

The best "first" daily driver is an old beater that you just don't care about. Heck sometimes that works out better for fuel economy years later.

Slowly working down the fleet of cars and trucks (but not Jeeps).

Dale
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode