Another snow / tire question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 10:21 AM Thread Starter

Another snow / tire question

Unfortunately, my 97 ZJ is only 2wd. As a result the thing is a PIG in the snow. Any time I get into something moderately thick or slick it spins the right rear wheel at a gagillion mph.

It currently has Bridgestone Dueler AT's on it that are ready to get replaced. I could probably go another 6k miles on them without them being dangerous, but driving in slick conditions is starting to really tick me off.

What I'm wondering is if I replace the tires with something with a more agressive tread and wheel diameter, will my traction improve? By more aggressive tread, I'm thinking something along the lines of a BFG A/T's.

What do you guys think, is my logic flawed? I know I can't do much about the fact that it is only 2WD, but can changing the tires help out considerably?

Thanks,
Sean

P.s. I know about the Blizzaks which have incredible traction, but I'm interested in making these year-round tires, and I don't like the fact that the compound in the Blizzaks can wear out so quickly. Plus, yowsa on the price!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 11:03 AM

Re: Another snow / tire question

Studded tires would be the best, but you say you need to run the same tire year round. If you are sticking to the streets, a narrow tire works best in my opinion, like the 33x9.5 BFG A/t's I'm using. I'd also consider adding a traction aiding device like a lockright. If siping services are available in your area, consider having a mud terrain tire siped for better grip. Added weight in the rear helps as well. Some bags of sand would work, and come in handy if you get stuck.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 11:13 AM

I didn't think you could put Blizzaks on a ZJ. I'm using Bridgestone Winter Duelers on my van and they are excelent in the snow and ice but they are not year around tires either. They are cheaper than Blizzaks anyway. They are directional tires so they have to go on a certian way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 11:38 AM

Siping the tires will help along with running some weight in the back of the zj. 2wd just sucks in the deep snow, chicago/ miluakee style snow you can usually get by though with 2wd since they use so much salt the roads are almost always pretty clear.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 12:23 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback guys. I didn't realize that siping made that much of a difference. I wasn't sure if they made Blizzaks for my Jeep, but I figured they had a comparable product with the compound in it. Timin, are you running the A/T's on a ZJ as well?

Most of the time it runs good. What really gets my goat is when I'm trying to pull out of a parking lot, cross a lane of traffic, and get up to speed. All without killing myself from oncoming traffic.

Sean
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 12:54 PM

No, the 33x9.5's are on my CJ. I like wider mud tires for off road, but find the narrow tires work well for me on the street where I often encounter different conditions on each side of the road. The narrower tires don't throw you around like the wider one's did, as they push less snow or water.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 01:07 PM

Sams Club has a very nice winter tire that I use. Narrow tires are the way to go on the street. My 78 Chevette has really narrow tires and that old thing is great in the winter even with 2-3 inches of new snow on the road.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 11:30 AM

Look to see if you can find some Nokian Hakapaletas (sp?). They are a good tire and can be run year round. Have enough siping for any five other tires! Tend to be an inexpensive tire as well.

We've also got a set of Nokian Valterra (sp?) for summer tires on my wife's '99 Exploder. They've been a good tire, and not bad in the snow.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 07:56 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Interesting tires from Finland... I really like Finlandia Vodka. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Take a look here:

<u>Nokian Tires</u>

<u>Hakkapeliitta 2</u>

<u>Hakkapeliitta 10LT</u>

And

<u>Vatiiva</u>

Hope this is helpful. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Dale
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 08:13 PM
Old Hand

We sell Nokian tires where i work, and they seem to be a pretty decent tire. My boss has some on his old Ford truck that he drives about 60 miles a day, and they are wearing great. The siping in them makes them a pretty good snow tire also.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode