Driving on ice/snow tire question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 09:35 AM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Driving on ice/snow tire question

I am wanting to get some new 33" tires for my CJ7 and have a chance at a really great deal on some 33x12.5 BFG MT KMs. I live in Colorado and the CJ is my DD as well. I have been told that I will hate the MTs on the snow and ice and that I would be better off with ATs or similar if I am not truely 'muddin'. I do wheel occaisionally in Moab on the rocks but mostly on mountain trails here in Colorado.

What are your opinions regarding MTs on snow/ice. I know there are probably a ton of options but they will likely cost more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 09:45 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Re: Driving on ice/snow tire question

I used 32" MT's for 3+ years in Indiana with no problem on snow. Nothing seems to work well on ice other than lots of siping. I switched to Mastercraft MT's this summer (made by Cooper tire, I think) and like them off-road and what little I've been in snow I felt like they were as good as the BFG's, and about $30 per tire cheaper. Just my $.02 worth.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 10:15 AM
Carpal \'Tunnel

If you're getting a really good deal then grab them up. You can always get them siped which is usually pretty cheap to do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 11:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I have been told that I will hate the MTs on the snow and ice and that I would be better off with ATs

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I love the BFG MT for mud snow and ROCKS. They work very well and as stated above I have yet seen any tire that works well on ICE, with out modification.
I might suggest that you keep the correct air psi for your Jeep weight when using as DD (mine was 28psi) and keep to a good rotation schedule as well. I got 44K out of mine last time.

Now folks this is NORTHERN Arizona. See there is a little snow fall here [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 05:00 PM
Journeyman

I have never heard the term siping. What is it all about. We use studded mud & snows here and they work great on the mountain for hunting . If things get too hairy we just chain all for and creep around the mt.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 05:31 PM

Siping is the cutting of fine cuts in the tread. Its different from grooving, where you actually remove tread. It creates more edges to grip, acts like a sqeegee, and softens the tire. Could cause flaking or chunking on the edges of a lug or maybe affect the tire warranty? Apparently they have machines to do it quickly and cheapy in the US on new tires. I've done my own siping with a steel ruler and a utility knife.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 07:18 PM

bfg Mt's are great tires in Mud, gravel, dirt, and asphalt, but they are horrible on ice!! Today we got about 2 inches of really fine snow, that was compacted into ice on the roads. My 32" bfg mts would not move me on flat ground in 1,2,or 3rd gear(the tires just spun), i had to put her in 4wd, but there were regualar rwd pickups w/ at's passing me. If ice performance is really an issue, i wouldn't get these. However, i have had the mts in some deeper snow and they did fine, just not well on ice. I would get them. I have been really impressed w/ my mts and they have taken me more places than i should probably go!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 11:10 PM
MOX
Old Hand

I have the exact tire on my Jeep, 32 Mastercraft Cousers, and it snows here all the time, and there is constantly ice on the streets, they do ok, then I took em in and got em studden, cause they have the holes already in em... now they grab the ice great, great tire. Chris
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 11:16 AM

Have run BFG M/Ts and A/Ts for years in the snow in Upstate NY. Both work great. Seems to me the M/Ts work better in deep snow and the A/Ts might be a little better on the ice.

Nothing short of studs or chains works good on ice.

I'll take a foot of snow over a " of ice ANY day.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 11:26 AM

Living in Alaska, I spend nearly half the year driving on snow and ice. Each has different requirements in a tire. As has already been stated, a tire with lots of siping does better on ice. Tires like Goodyear Ultra Grip ice or Nokian Hakapaleta (sp?)shine on the ice. In addition, I like to run studs. The downside is that most highly siped tires have very tight tread spacing and don't work as well in deep snow. A buddy runs BFG MTs up in Fairbanks on his Toyota, and refuses to drive it on ice. However, he runs BFG MTs (unstudded)on his DD Dakota and is relatively happy with them as a year round tire.

I rarely drive my Jeeps in the winter, but do occasionally. Last year I had my '5 out on some back country roads that were 3" of glazed ice (doing some grouse hunting). I'm running 33x9.50 Trail Mark MTs that have decent size lugs and a fair amount of siping. They did okay, but not stellar. When I sold the Bronco this last year, I kept the Studded Workhorses from it (on rims) to put on the '7 for winter driving next year.

For my DDs I have a seperate set of summer and winter tires. My winter tires on my pickup are Goodyear Work Horse Extra Grips, studded. They are a good balance between biting in the deep snow and having good ice traction.

Hope that helps!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode