Muffler and Cat questions - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 09:39 PM Thread Starter
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Muffler and Cat questions

My current exhaust consists of stock manifolds to 2 1/4" pipes going into a y pipe. Then a flowmaster series 40 muffler and out the back. I'm replacing the y pipe with a catalytic converter to get rid of the smell. The problem I face is that with the catalytic converter, I can't fit the muffler.
If you notice in the picture, Where the cat is was a little custom Y pipe. Right after that was the muffler. The CAT is a bit longer, and I can no longer fit the muffler after it. It would have to be on pipe D in the diagram. But space is extremely tight there being right above the axle. So, any suggestions. Will my jeep be much louder with just a cat and no muffler compared to just the flowmaster? I was thinking of maybe a single cherry bomb in the D possition. Let me know what ya think
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1379515-exhaust.JPG (9.0 KB, 3 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 09:46 PM
Old Hand

Re: Muffler and Cat questions

Not haveing a muffler, and just a cat isnt that loud. It may be a little louder than you flowmaster but it sounds pretty good. I do it all the time at work when i do custon duals, almost all of them have no muffler.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 10:35 PM
Mud in my Veins

Do you have to have a CAT? For emissions inspection or something?

Not sure why you'd think a CAT would rid you of "the smell" either? (most seem to *cause* the "smell"!) If it's fumes wafting back inside, I'd look at moving the exit point of your exhaust...mine exit in front of the rear tires = never had a problem w/ fumes...OTOH, my brothers single (diagramed much like yours) would choke you out no matter what speeds or top/door config he was running. Finally ran it out the corner (by the rear shackle hanger) and the fumes "just went away"... [img]images/graemlins/thud.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 10:51 PM Thread Starter
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

The exhaust is not too bad while driving, its bad for the guy behind me though lol. But since i'll be bringing my kids with me more and more, I want to get rid of the hydro carbons which is exactly what the CAT does. And there is the whole thing about it being a serious offense if your caught without one. So i'll try it without the muffler at first then go from there.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 11:32 PM
Way Outta Control

Laws in the east may not be the same as the west -- but --
Mufflers have to be used behind catalytic converters on Federal Lands (Federal law,) out west on state lands too (state laws.)
That means BLM and Forestry lands.
The muffler has to be the baffled type, not a straight through like a glass pak.

It's a $500 fine to be caught without it. The ranger tests them by running a broom handle or stick through the muffler. If bends are in the way and he suspects it's a straight through type, (and he's a pri--,) he writes you the ticket - it's up to you to prove to the court otherwise.

Not my rules, told to me by a ranger 2 hours after I had glass-paks installed! Fortunately it was still on the trailer.

Reason is sparks fly out the cat. Baffles catch them.

But -- since you barely got it running correctly now, your exhaust must be full of crap -- the smell.
Drive it a couple hundred miles, get it running properly, then smell it.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 11:06 AM
Addict

I've been using a Thrush Turbo muffler with great success. The nicest feature is it has a very compact case size and would fit nicely in the D position. Part # 17702 has only an 11" case length, 14" overall. It rumbles nicely with a pleasant tone when cruising.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode