Registering a Jeep built from scratch - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 07:46 PM Thread Starter

Registering a Jeep built from scratch

Okay so for the most part this is just a hypothetical question as I'm not likely to ever get to do this, but the question is still bugging me.

I've always dreamed of building up the ultimate CJ8, but given that they're getting harder to find and the ones out there are way expensive for what you get, I thought about building one basically from scratch. You know, a new aftermarket frame, stainless steel body, fuel injected crate motor, bulletproof drive train...etc. I know all the parts involved with building a Jeep from scratch would get expensive (which is why I may never get the chance to do it), but if I did what kind of a hassle would it be to get it registered and street legal? There would be no VIN, title or bill of sale to use unless I could find a rotted out junker cheap just for the VIN. Is there such a thing as a new title for a custom built rig? Anyone been through this already?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 11:35 PM
Way Outta Control

Re: Registering a Jeep built from scratch

Not sure about your state, but I did it years ago in California -- when it was far simper than it is today.
NEVER NEVER NEVER AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Check with your local DMV, you may be lucky.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 03:00 AM

I know a couple "CJ8" that say CJ5 or CJ7 on the title.

Would they check your wheel base in getting it inspected?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 04:51 AM
Keyboard Implanted

it varies between states.. but im sure your local police would have to inspect it at some point.. check with your dmv... i built mine from junkyard parts.. and just used an old title and vin i had... some of us have more than one title handy... [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 06:25 AM
Keyboard Implanted

yea, from what i've heard, its better to get a junk title and vin tags and go from there.....i mean...whos to say you didnt have the CJ8 and replaced EVERY part on it.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 06:27 AM
Can't Get Enough

My $0.02 is to buy a junker and go register it. Then build away. Transfer v.i.n. tags and any other assorted sundries. Go get "new" Jeep inspected, sell off unused/unwanted parts from old junker. Another twist is if you have emissions inspections in your state. In NJ 1980 and older vehicles only get an idle check (easier to pass test), not the full bore dyno ride. If you can you might want to look for a model year that will be easier in the future to get inspected. I think that the amount of emission equipment was a lot less on an '81 Scrambler than an '86. My question has always been if you scratch build a Jeep what year do they use to test your emissions? The year of the engine? The current year? The last year that model was produced? These are queations that your state's DMV should be able to answer. Good Luck.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 07:40 AM

I have several friends who have been through the process in Illinois and Missouri with scratch-built motorcycles and sports cars, and it's not too bad. You need proof of ownership of all major components - the bill of sale is sufficient. After it's assembled you trailer it to a state inspection station where they go over all of the paperwork and do a cursory safety and equipment inspection. The lights have to work, service and parking brake, seatbelts and so on have to be there. A customer built a chopper and mounted the speedometer down on the engine block. He ran a speedometer cable down towards the trasmission but didn't connect it to anything. It passed.

If everything is in order they assign a serial number, stamp it into the frame and onto a tag they Pop-Rivet to the firewall, and you're done. In a week or two the mailman brings a title for a "Homebuilt" of whatever description.

As for emissions, the choppers I've been part of have no emission requirements at all. Most of them don't even have mufflers. In Illinois the cars have emission requirements of the year the engine was built. That creates a demand for old engine blocks. I suppose that a new crate motor would have to meet current emission standards. Whether that would include non-motor items like evap control I have no idea. A buddy who built a kit Cobra got a Ford block from the early '70s and built it up. Never did have to get it emission tested or inspected.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 04:53 PM
M38

I bought my jeep unseen, I did have a bill of sale but no vin numbers, old title or anything.

I used the numbers off of the Plate on the motor and went here Worked like a charm.

I now have a title and it is fully registered and completly legal.

I don't know if I broke any laws but there are worse things a man could do.

Clint
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 04:57 PM

Here in Manitoba, even if you swap bodies, motor vehicles must issue you a new serial number for registration, and you have to have the old serial number of the body you used for their records. A scratch built vehicle is assigned a new serial number as well.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 06:18 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the info. NH is pretty lax when it comes to inspections so that shouldn't be too bad. There's no emissions test statewide and depending on the garage it can be pretty easy to get an inspection sticker. I know I need to get specific answers from the DMV, I just don't really want to go stand in line just to ask this sort of question. Given the typical DMV worker, I'll probably have to speak to a manager or something. If I can find a good deal on a junker for the title I'll do that. I could probably get away with just the VIN since here in NH you can register an "old" vehicle with just a bill of sale. What I was worried about was investing all that time and money into building a Jeep just to find I had to trailer it everywhere.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode