sm465 noises and trouble with 2nd gear - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-17-2005, 09:33 PM Thread Starter

sm465 noises and trouble with 2nd gear

Recently i installed a freshly rebuilt sm465 into my cj5. Well after driving it for a while (bout 25 miles), i've noticed a few things that kinda of worry me. First, its grinds when you try and down shift into 2nd (the first syncronised gear), it has new snychros, and i know i put the synchro in. Going from 1st to 2nd is fine, but that is at really low speeds. Next is how much my engine speed drops when the clutch is engaged compared to when its not, say atleast 100 rpm, i kind of figure this is becuase its freshly rebuilt and very tight, but i would like someone to concure on this, and lastly it makes a sound like some teeth are making contact, a clicky clicky clicky sound when i push the clutch in and stop while leaving it in gear. If i take it out of gear, it doesnt make these sounds. Now i rebuilt this transmission under the guidance of an old mechanic who has rebuild several of these trannys, and he simples says let it break in, its a truck tranny, it will get better. Are any of these problems something to worry about?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 09:22 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: sm465 noises and trouble with 2nd gear

[img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] I just could not count the number of miles that I have put on SM465s, but it is a million-plus for certain. I have had several of those trannys rebuilt, and none ever exhibited the least little anomaly when I put it into service. [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] SOMETHING is not right in your transmission. [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
If you used synthetic lube in it that COULD account for the lazy synchro, but the clicking while the clutch is depressed is not normal on a fresh box or on a tired one. One thing you need to check on is the fit to the bell housing. Those aluminum bellhousings can become badly worn if the tranny ever got loose on the attaching bolts. That makes the centerline of the tranny lower than the crankshaft centerline and can cause the clicking sound you mentioned. I often find that the bolt holes in the housing are blamo and I replace the cap screws with studs set in place with Locktite. I have even had to shim under the bottom of the front bearing retainer to keep the tranny up and in the true centerline. [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] Check the bellhousing-to-tranny fit-up first, then see how the box sounds. If you loosen the tranny and jack it up and then tighten it in place with the jack still under it and THEN try running the engine with the clutch pedal down, you might find that it was a misalignment problem. [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 10:46 PM Thread Starter

Well when i installed the transmission, i installed the bellhousing first then the tranny, so it was supported on a jack the entire time, but i could try pushing it up higher. In my own efforts to find the problem, i noticed that it doesnt make the sound if i leave it in 4th gear and push the clutch in and slow down. Another mechanic said it might be a chipped gear on the lower cluster, but i dont see why it would click when only when the clutch is pushed in. Any of this info bring anything else to mind?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 06:39 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] I'm sticking with my previously-noted diagnosis. Your most recent comments only serve to make my diagnosis seem even MORE logical. I am CONVINCED that you have misalignment either bellhousing-to-engine, or tranny-to-bellhousing, OR BOTH. Don't forget, when you install this stuff, it's own weight makes it seek the bottom and if both pieces are as low as they can go the alignment is additive. The bellhousings usually have dowell pins to help them stay where they belong up and down, but there is also the other alignment which is the surfaces being perfectly flat and touching evenly all the way around. The tranny of course doesn't have alignment pins and when those bolt holes get washed out from being loose, the center hole in the bell housing gets oval from the weight of the tranny.[img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode