Alternative fuel pump mounting location? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-17-2005, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

Alternative fuel pump mounting location?

I've been having problems with my e-2000 electric fuel pump burning up with my add on MPI kit for my CJ. Since I can't figure out a safe way to get the power into the tank to run an intank fuel pump, I'm going to give the inline one more shot before I go to a fuel cell. Right now the pump is located on the cross member in front of the fuel tank about 1/4 of the way down from the top of the tank. I've thought about moving the pump to the lowest possible point below the tank, but most of those places are pretty vonerable (sp?). The lowest and safest place I can think of is right in front of the rear spring hanger (I can build a skid plate to protect the pump). The only draw back is that it is about 6 feet from the pickup tube.

So, with all that said, where else are you guys mounting your electric fuel pumps?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-17-2005, 07:55 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Alternative fuel pump mounting location?

i mounted the fuel pump for my howell kit on the frame just aft of the skid plate and did fine there for a few years until i ended up sellign the CJ. i drove it a lot of highway miles and wasnt tooo hard on it offroad

i dont know why yours fails a lot, but i do know this.....electronic fuel pumps are good at pushing fuel, not pulling it...so as close to tank as you can go.

also they are sensitive to crap.....so a filter before the pump may not be tooooo bad an idea if you think it wont restrict flow tooo much. or maybe its time to flush the tank

either of those can make em burn up...

is there and alternative pump type you can use maybe?

also maybe a thought....does the MPI use a fuel return line to the tank? if so would a blockage in it cause excess pressure and make your fuel pump go?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 07:34 AM

I had a ton of trouble with my in-tank pump (89 YJ 4 cyd./OEM TBI). The OEM's are no longer available and the Chrysler dealer said they are not making a replacement. The NAPA/Carter pumps didn't hold up. I drained and cleaned the tank and replaced the fuel filter several times (usually with each replacement pump) and still went through five replacement pumps. I opted for the E-2000 and it has already outlasted all five of the NAPA/Carter pumps combined.
I mounted it on the brace that runs across the driver's side of the tank. I have about six inches of fuel hose, an in-line filter, ten inches of hose straight into the pump. It is positioned about in the middle of the tank. Something would have to wipe out the bottom half of the fuel tank to snag the pump so it is pretty safe where it is. I did put a piece of hose over the fuel line where it passes by the seam of the tank to protect it from wearing through. Rather than risk drilling or screwing into the tank. I simply "clamped" the pump to the strap. First, with wire ties, to test the fit, then with screw type hose clamps.
I don't think you CJ has the same brace down the side if the tank but yes, havining it close to the tank and mounted low has seemed to work well for me.
Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 08:26 AM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

Thanks. The strap on the side of the tank is another spot I had considered. The only problem for me is that if I mount it on the drivers side it will be close to my exhaust, and if I mount it on the pass. side it is awfully close to the frame rail/tire.

I've got an inline filter and I have cleaned the tank and replaced the sock in the tank. Still I burn them up about every 500 miles.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 07:47 PM
Official Historian

Here is where I mounted my pump in spring 2000.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1379434-Picture023.jpg (68.9 KB, 4 views)
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 08:18 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

More than three years ago I swapped a 5.0 ford motor into my 70 beater pickup. I was on a budget and needed to find an affordable MPEFI pump. I've got an external pump for a late eighties early nineties Ranger (I think it's been a while). Anyway, every article I read said I neede another pump to push fuel to high pressure pump. It's mounted within about two feet of the tank and run flawlessly since I put it in. I run a Ford style EFI filter prior to the pump.

The pump looks to be about twice the size of WILL's but comes with handy barbed fitting that make it pretty universal. If you'd like I can dig up the number. It was off the shelf at Orielly's at about $55. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 09:15 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

Will,

you aren't worried about hitting that on a rock or a tree stump? I know I've hit my gas tank skid plate before. I've thought about mounting it there but thought I would get it torn off in no time. Also, no problems with heat mounting it that close to your exhaust?
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 09:24 PM
Official Historian

Rocks in Nebraska? j/k, I know you go to the black hills. No, I've not managed to hit it on anything yet. My biggest thing is running over trees but no problems. The exhaust is on the outside of the frame when it passes the pump. The rest of the line is very close to the exhaust but since it is under pressure and not vacuum, it doesn't turn to vapor in the line. If I ever go to coil springs, I might have to make a secondary skidplate for it. Maybe a piece of 1x3 angle to protect the bottom and side.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 11:00 AM
sheesley

I run a f-150 fuel pump mounted high on my firwall with no priming or problems now for 3 years....
they are dirt cheap and similar to the holley pumps. If it sits all winter-it just take an extra half second to re-prime-you can hear it when it hits under load...
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 11:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I run a f-150 fuel pump mounted high on my firwall with no priming or problems now for 3 years....
they are dirt cheap and similar to the holley pumps. If it sits all winter-it just take an extra half second to re-prime-you can hear it when it hits under load...

[/ QUOTE ]

What year of pump would that be?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode