Is it Okay to Move Seatbelts??? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-17-2005, 05:21 PM Thread Starter

Is it Okay to Move Seatbelts???

Here is the situation. I have an 86 CJ-7 with a 94 wrangler rollbar. I also got the wrangler seatbelts that bolt into the stock CJ position.
The problem is that Im trying to mount Grand Cherokee Seats, and the seatbelt mechanism is in the way.

What I was considering was moving the mechanism fwd just past the original mounting pillar.

I know this is just the outter skin on the body, but my rocker guards wraparound from the body mounts and come to the bottom of the door sill.They are 3/16th steel.

If the seatbelt mechanism is bolted to the rocker fwd of the pillar, will this cause a problem? Is it still safe?

Any opinions would be appreciated.
Thanks
TJ [img]images/graemlins/wall.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 01:45 PM

Re: Is it Okay to Move Seatbelts???

Are you moving the anchoring point of the stationary end of the belt, or the retractor spool? You can move the spool, as long as you keep it upright and it is securely mounted. Your judgment call. The anchoring point has less leeway to be moved, as you must maintain proper angles between your body and the mounting point of the belt. It should be anchored rearward of your body even when the seat is moved back as far as it will go. I have moved both of mine. They are both attached to tabs on my roll cage. I believe they are mounted more securely than previously, especially considering corrossion to the pillar, and the angles are still in my opinion proper.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 03:28 PM

I would have to think if the locking mechanism is the type that locks under rapid acceration or deceleration then it might not work if rotated 90*.

If it's one that's based on centrifical force were the speed of the belt unwinding locks the belt then it probably would be OK to rotated the retractor.

The integrity of the mounting points would be your desision and I an in no way guaranteeing that moving it would keep you safe in an accident.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 04:09 PM
Way Outta Control

I pulled some rear seat belts out of a mid 90's Caravan. The retractor assembly will be mounted to a 3/16" steel plate and nestled under the tub lip in the place found on an OEM tub. This provides a stable, protected mount as well as a not interfering with the velocity lock.

One reason the OEM mount is where it's at is to keep your cedar end firmly in the seat when you need to be firmly in the seat. If you move the belt forward then can mover forward, and to the drivers side, a small amount.

IMHO, keep the seat belt mounting points as close to possible as the OEM seat belt mount points.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 08:12 PM Thread Starter

Actually, the seatbelts have both the retractor and the anchor on the same unit. I was looking at moving them approx 3" which would have it in the same orientation, but butted up against the front side of the pilar and tucked under the aft section of the door sill where it rounds up to the back side. With the seat all the way back, it appears to locate the lap part of the belt just aft of the hip and inline with the backrest of the seat.

TJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode