Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   Jeep-Short Wheelbase (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/)
-   -   Tilt Column Question (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/203658-tilt-column-question.html)

reddoogone 01-16-2005 07:29 PM

Tilt Column Question

I found a tilt column from a 87-95 YJ the guy say's it will fit a cj but he's not sure of what year cj. Any input would be appreciated. He said they bolt up the same , My cj is a 77 cj5. There is a good gap in years here.

Jim_Lou 01-17-2005 08:26 AM

Re: Tilt Column Question

Your '77 has the same cowl and firewall as every later CJ. I think it's the same as the YJs too, but am not sure.

Dale is becoming our resident tilt column expert. He'll jump in soon with more information.

OlllllllOCJ 01-17-2005 12:57 PM

I'm not sure about YJ columns, but for the most part all of the older columns are made much the same.

Will take some measurements on a CJ column if that will help.

I'm sure we can get someone to measure a YJ too.

Dale

lomodyj 01-17-2005 03:20 PM

What measurement's do you want? I'll get them.

I can say that having looked at the pics on Dales tilt column page, the Grand National page then working on my YJ column, and having watched a mid 80's Chevy S-10 column go into a CJ-5...I think they are all the same.

reddoogone 01-17-2005 04:34 PM

The guy said it came out of a 90 wrangler, but will fit yj 87-95, and all cj's . they look real close. Dales post on column repar was most informative. I had just thought that a bushing or bearing was the problem with slop in a tilt. Here it's just retightening the thing down. A whole lot of info on these boards!!!!!!! Thanks guys. where is the Grand National page?

OlllllllOCJ 01-17-2005 07:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The guy said it came out of a 90 wrangler, but will fit yj 87-95, and all cj's .

[/ QUOTE ]

He's likely correct it wouldn't be surprising.

[ QUOTE ]
where is the Grand National page?

[/ QUOTE ]

<u>Fixing A Loose Tilt Steering Column</u>

Dale

jeepgod 01-18-2005 05:32 AM

those columns are all but the same.. what you have to watch out for... is what size the spline output is on the column... other than that.. it will bolt up into a cj tub... if you have the pedal assembly that mounts up... and to the firewall and behind the dash... if the cj tub is older.. like a 75... you can convert to this by cutting the hole in the firewall.. and installing the pedal assembly.. which this type of column bolts up too..

reddoogone 01-18-2005 05:58 AM

The tub is a glass tub from aj's . It's a 77. That grand national page is good too . But dales pics are a HUGE help.Its about 31"long. 11" from the firewall to the 2 bolts that hold it down to the dash. The spline looks like 7/8 or an even inch.thanks guys.