Chevy 350?'s - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-16-2005, 02:03 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

Chevy 350?\'s

I got a early 70's chevy 350 from a buddy the other day. It's a 4 bolt main and looks good to put in my next project Jeep. My question is, are there many differences between the early 350's and late '80's and early '90's? I want to use the lower block with the heads and intake from a newer 350 and use the tbi fuel injection. Are they compatable?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-16-2005, 03:03 PM
Official Historian

Re: Chevy 350?\'s

There was a change in 87 to a one piece rear main gasket. That is all I know.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-16-2005, 05:37 PM

I'm relatively certain the heads and intake are compatible, but not 100% sure. The 4 bolt main 350 is a good starter point for a 383 Stroker. You have the block machined to take a 400 crank. Lots of torque.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-16-2005, 06:02 PM

Early to late no diff in heads bolting up, the diff. may be in the intake to head match up but if you have the intake and head from same motor then there is no issue. Say 73 block and 88 heads and intake, or 95 heads and intake [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-16-2005, 09:18 PM
Addict

The heads went to a center bolt valve cover some time around '87. It coincided with the introduction of TPI.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-16-2005, 10:20 PM
Can't Get Enough

It should work. My understanding is it will all bolt together if you use the late model (injected) heads and intake. I don't know what if any differences there is in the camshafts.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-17-2005, 08:27 AM
Keyboard Implanted

The before 1980 350 blocks have the oil dip stick on the drivers side of the block. Starting in 1980 the 350 blocks have the oil dip sticks on the passenger side. The before 1980 350 heads have only 6 bolt holes for exhaust manifold mounting. Starting in 1980 the 350 heads have 7 bolt holes for exhaust manifold mounting. Not all exhaust manifolds manufactured after 1980 will work with the drivers side oil dip stick, which really sucks [img]images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] when you want to use a set of dirt cheap factory exhaust manifolds that already have the O2 sensor mounting for fuel injection. Usually the 350 heads before 1987 have 76cc combustion chambers. Starting in 1987 usually the 350 heads have 64cc combustion chambers. There are lots of dirt cheap flat top pistons for the Chevy 350, but if you use flat top Chevy 350 pistons and 64cc heads the compression ratio will almost be 11:1. Use Chevy 350 dish pistons with the 64cc heads and the compression ratio will be close to 9:1 which usually works OK with 87 octane unleaded gas. Starting in 1996 the Chevy 350 (Vortec) heads will use only 4 bolts drilled and tapped at 72 degrees to mount the intake manifold. The before 1987 heads have 6 bolts drilled and tapped at 90 degrees to mount the intake manifold. Starting in 1987 the center two intake mounting bolts are drill and tapped at 72 degrees for the fuel injection manifold. I suggest selling the engine you have, and getting a newer 350 with the fuel injection system you want. It's less expensive in the long run. [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

dave
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-17-2005, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

Whoa! That's a lot of info. Better print that out for future reference! Thanks.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-17-2005, 08:03 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I totally agree with Dave. There will most likly be other issues too related to sensors on the block....or rather the lack of holes to put them in.

I picked up a 5.7L TBI with tranny, computer and harness out of a 94 Chevy PU for $500. You could spend a lot more than that trying to make an older block work. Besides, your going to want the Heads, harness, computer, etc....most likely they will be attached to the block...might as well take the block.

And for the record...4 bolt mains are highly over rated for what we want to do. Unless your pushing 400 horses or more...there are plenty of other things to break before the crank does.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode